1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Mixing pellets......

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by mopar man, Mar 13, 2013.

1. mopar man

mopar man New Member

Loc:
    Brockway, PA
    When I bought my second ton for this season they didn't burn as well as the first one. I started off with Green Gold from TSC. When I tried getting some from Lowes I ended up with Timber Heat. These pellets caused my burn pot to clog up with clumped black ash. There was still a flame and decent heat, but the pellets were starting to skip over the front of the pot. I had a dozen or so bags of the first batch, so I have been mixing the 2 together at a ratio of 3:1 (Heat to Gold). As a result my stove seems to be operating normally with no large clinkers. Is anyone else doing this? I only payed $204 for the Timber Heat so I wanted to be able to use them.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. moey

moey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    I mix my crappy Cubex with other pellets a pain but better then cleaning the burn pot.
  3. imacman

imacman Guest

Clumped black ash is a sign of a clogged, dirty stove. I burned the Timber heat, and they were a nice burning pellet. I think your stove and exhaust system needs a deep cleaning.
  4. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    A clean stove is a happy one. Any pic's? We love pic's.:cool:
  5. Tony garofalo

Tony garofalo Member

Loc:
    Erie Pa
    I tried the timber heat ,They were ok ,But I think the green gold is a better . At leased in my stove.
  6. mopar man

mopar man New Member

Loc:
    Brockway, PA
    What stove do you have?

imacman next time I shut it down to vacuum it out I will have to take the pipe off the back and check it. Are the Timber Heats softwood? The ones I have look like they are made from pine sawdust.