Mixing Valve Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aeblank

Dec 12, 2013
Cadillac, MI
Hi all. I'm frustrated with my hot water supply,and looking for some guidance.

I have a HS Tarm stove and a 1600 gallon heat storage tank. as such, my water temperature fluctuates between perhaps 96F to 180F. Naturally, I have a "scald valve", which is a Taco. Probably a 5000 series, something like this: http://tinyurl.com/odqtexx

The thing doesn't seem to work for diddly. I would imagine that if I set it low-ish (say 120F) it should mix my temp down to 120, almost no matter what the inlet is (unless it's less than 120, naturally). While it does seem to mix the temp down, faucet temps go up/down with the tank temp.

So the moral of the story is that I need a better (more appropriate?) mixing valve. I'd even consider an electronically controlled one. I'd like to set it to a temp and have it be fairly rock solid.

I also have home-run plumbing to each fixture. It would be neat to have some sort of point-of-use valve that could mix the tub/faucet of the guest bathroom lower for my 3 year old son. I would guess those to get rather spendy though, given I'd need so many of them.

I'd appreciate any advise / product suggestions.

Thanks,
Andy

I can't help with the central mixing valve, but many mid-priced bath and sink mixing valves have adjustable limits on how much hot or cold is permitted. I needed to adjust my shower because I couldn't get it completely cold to drive the kids out! At the high end there are even thermostatic limits, but a simple mixer limit should be enough. All new valves must have an anti-scald mechanism in the event of a sudden drop in cold water pressure.

TE

The valve's innards may be limed up, so the slide doesn't move. You could take it apart and see if things are binding.

Status
Not open for further replies.