Mixing valve question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Northern WI
I am starting to get ready to install my Garn. I will be running one loop to my workshop which is an existing in floor pressurized system with a Thorn wall mount demand boiler. It does not use a mixer valve. When I supply heat from the Garn I will need a mixer valve as I will transfer heat through a heat exchanger.

1) Can the mixer valve be installed in the boiler room to control temps to the HX in the shop?
2) How do you set a HX if the supply temps vary due to the temperature drops of the boiler water ( usable temps 200*-120*) as heat is used through the night,
before refiring the Garn in the morning?

You want to provide full temperature to the heat exchanger. If you need to temper the water do so after the exchange.
In my system I find that the system reacts fine with the varied input temps. The circulators just run longer when the supply cools down.

Thanks Charlie!

Your explanation makes perfect sense. I am just starting to do my piping design and will submit on the forum before ordering the parts. I will do as you suggest.

Captain Chaos said:
Your Garn looks awsome Sawyer! I orderred mine a couple of days after yours, hopefully it is closed to being shipped.

Chris

As I mentioned in another thread, "The guys at CheckPoint said a year ago they were building 6 units a month, now they are building six units a week. Good to see production increase without sacraficing the quality!", that should mean that 9 units have been produced since I picked up mine. Getting close, Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock.....

Status
Not open for further replies.