mixing wet wood with dry wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdscj8

Feb 19, 2009
Eastern,Nebraska
My neighbor asked me a question tonight and i didn't know so here goes, he bought 6 cords of walnut and elm today that was cut in Feb. and March to use next year and the year after, after moving his 4 year old mulbury pile to the house he thinks hes not going to have enough for this year, (his boys keep taking alittle here and there). so the question, if he adds a piece of wet wood to every load of dry wood is it going to make that much of a difference. he has a old non-epa stove. the wet wood is testing around 26%. we put some in my old BK tonight and it sizzled and smoked a bit, but that was with 5 pieces in the stove. what do ya think.

Thanks, JD

Ja, he can get away with it in a non-EPA stove but he needs to keep an eye on his chimney.

We've all mixed wet with dry to get by. But dry is so much better. Can he store his wet wood near his heat source? It's amazing how much difference a week of drying out next to the stove can make!

Have him split it down to smaller splits. Shorter splits also help since wood is like a bundle of straws. Shorter straws will drain faster.

Matt

26% really isnt that bad... im honestly surprised that elm and walnut cut and split in feb/march is at that point... my sugar maple cut and split in april is 22-23%...

after re reading, it just says cut. im assuming it was split alot more recently.

yes it was split the first week of august, I know i've burnt wet wood and just cleaned the pipe out more, but hes 75 years old and he worries alot more now then he use too cause he can't clean out the pipe by himself anymore.
Thanks JD

jdscj8 said:
hes 75 years old and he worries alot more now then he use too cause he can't clean out the pipe by himself anymore.
Maybe you could check his flue and clean it for him. Hopefully when you're 75, someone will return the favor.

CowboyAndy said:
26% really isnt that bad... im honestly surprised that elm and walnut cut and split in feb/march is at that point... my sugar maple cut and split in april is 22-23%...

after re reading, it just says cut. im assuming it was split alot more recently.

+1

My kids and I preaty much do most of his chores for him now, i'm 35 and i've been helping him sence i was 12 so cleaning his flue is not a problem, done it before and it takes about 4 hrs start to finish(pain in the butt), but between tending to his cattle, our cattle, milking our other cattle, my grandparents chores, my family things and all the other 7 day a week work around here, things get forgot about preaty easily, theres only so many hours in a day. and thats what hes afraid of, not knowing if its going to need cleaned every week, 2 weeks, month or 2 and when we're going to be able to get to it. and as for someone helping me out by the time i'm his age, (besides my kids and hopefully my grandkids) more then likely not, those sort of values aren't taught to most kids now days, cause most of there parents don't practice it anymore. courtesy, respect, values, morals and just helping others out are becoming a thing of the past, so in another 40 years, when i'm 75 it won't be around anymore at all

Sad isn't it.

The elm is 26% the walnut is alittle higher about 29%.

The splits he has are preaty big so i'll split some in half and see.

JD

jdscj8 said:
My kids and I preaty much do most of his chores for him now, i'm 35 and i've been helping him sence i was 12 so cleaning his flue is not a problem, done it before and it takes about 4 hrs start to finish(pain in the butt), but between tending to his cattle, our cattle, milking our other cattle, my grandparents chores, my family things and all the other 7 day a week work around here, things get forgot about preaty easily, theres only so many hours in a day. and thats what hes afraid of, not knowing if its going to need cleaned every week, 2 weeks, month or 2 and when we're going to be able to get to it. and as for someone helping me out by the time i'm his age, (besides my kids and hopefully my grandkids) more then likely not, those sort of values aren't taught to most kids now days, cause most of there parents don't practice it anymore. courtesy, respect, values, morals and just helping others out are becoming a thing of the past, so in another 40 years, when i'm 75 it won't be around anymore at all

Sad isn't it.

The elm is 26% the walnut is alittle higher about 29%.

The splits he has are preaty big so i'll split some in half and see.

JD
split it elm and walnut again use the mulberry frist

Status
Not open for further replies.