MK auger motor mod

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

funflyer

Burning Hunk
Nov 6, 2014
Central Arizona
Another Merkle-Korff annoyance made good with a little reengineering. After listening to the motor go "thunk" everytime it cycled on, I decided to look into why. Seems that there was too much movement (.040") in the rotor between the outer bushing and internal gear so everytime the motor cycled on, it would force the rotor outward and would hammer it against the bushing. A fiber washer sanded down to just the right thickness was all it took to make things quiet.

DSC049887.jpg

Another Merkle-Korff annoyance made good with a little reengineering. After listening to the motor go "thunk" everytime it cycled on, I decided to look into why. Seems that there was too much movement (.040") in the rotor between the outer bushing and internal gear so everytime the motor cycled on, it would force the rotor outward and would hammer it against the bushing. A fiber washer sanded down to just the right thickness was all it took to make things quiet.

View attachment 153569

Thats because your compound triple reduction gearbox input shaft (the extended armature shaft) has helical cut teeth on it. If they were straight cut, there would be no reverse thrust, hence, no clunk.

A hardened steel shim waher of appropriate thickness will last longer. The MK outer bearing assembly is substantially heavier and retains more lubricant that the Gleason-Avery counterpart btw.

Don't like the built in hopper shaker?

Reactions: Arti
A hardened steel shim waher of appropriate thickness will last longer.

There was two shims in there and I left them between the fiber washer and bushing. The fiber washer is a pressed fit on the rotor so there should be no additional wear.

Don't like the built in hopper shaker?

Thats what the wife is for, although sometimes just as noisy ::P

Last edited:
Reactions: funflyer
Status
Not open for further replies.