1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Mmmmm.....Gotta love me some Black Licorice smell...

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by chvymn99, Aug 21, 2013.

1. chvymn99

chvymn99 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kansas
    Well....I got a nice load of Walnut delivered today. Stepping out of the truck today, I got that lovely wif of Walnut...mmmmm. Black Licorice. Walnut is one of my favorite woods to work with.

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Nice! :cool: Tree service, or what?
    I found a twenty year old top out there a few months ago, so I'll be burning Walnut for the first time this winter. They say it smells good burning, too. Smelled like furniture when I split a couple rounds to look at it. :)
    chvymn99 likes this.
  3. chvymn99

chvymn99 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kansas
    Yes, the same tree service that dropped off the Mulberry about 3 weeks ago. I dont know about the burning of walnut and the smell, but it sure does burn nicely.
    Thistle and ScotO like this.
  4. ScotO

ScotO Guest

When I'm working BW it always reminds me of the smell of the old mom-n-pop furniture store that used to be in our little town......they sold REAL, American-made furniture in there......and alot of it was walnut......

Ah, the smell of walnut. One of my faves too (I have LOTS of favorites!);) It isn't the highest BTU wood out there, puts out heat alot like cherry, but it does make quite a bit of fluffy ash. I've got lots of it in my stacks, smells good when burning too.

Nice haul!
  5. Applesister

Applesister Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Walnut SHOULD smell like furniture not firewood.
  6. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    OK, I will glue mine back together and try to make a couple of chairs out of it. ;)
    chvymn99 and swagler85 like this.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    For sure it is one of the prettiest woods available to us.
    chvymn99 likes this.
  8. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    I burn mill scraps,branches/tops,cut-offs etc.But anything I get that's 12" diameter or bigger,especially straight & fairly clear is saved for milling and/or wood turning.I do love the smell of it,either sawing/shaping,splitting it or when its drying in the stacks.
    Backwoods Savage and chvymn99 like this.
  9. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I'll be burning almost 5 cords of clean and straight black walnut this year. The mills around here were turning it away even before Sandy, as there's just not enough demand, right now.
    chvymn99 likes this.
  10. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Prices are decent here,going up again for the first time since 2008.Demand is greater also.
    chvymn99 and Joful like this.