mmmMMMmmm food

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyquil Junkie

Aug 26, 2009
SW PA
I shoulda got a stove with a cook top yrs ago.
taters and cabbage. yum.

These lil intrepid stoves make great cookers.

Attachments

• ffffffff.jpg
    ffffffff.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 343
And all this time you said you wanted heat when all you were really looking for was hot food. :lol:

BTW: Throwing cabbage into a pan with good potatoes should be against the law.

Throwing cabbage at anything but a bad actor should be against the law. Maybe growing cabbage should be against the law. :sick: Rick

There is only one good use for cabbage and that is ....uh.....er.....well, ya, maybe you're right - BAN CABBAGE!!

(Well - I guess cole slaw is OK, but that is about it!)

Begorah. Not an Irishman amongst ya, except maybe NJ. Well me neither, but I like my veggies.

I am down with the original dish! Let hear it for butter!!!! Nothing is a better friend to potato and cabbage than butter, well, i guess you also have to factor in salt and pepper, but they are all a team!

What???? No other Pole's representing? It is awful tough to make Haluski w/out cabbage!

For those less cabbage inclined, a good old pot roast never gets turned down too often. (this was last winter on the old fisher. I hope the nc-30 is a cooker)

01282009002.jpg

01282009001.jpg

01282009003.jpg

mmmMMmmm....
Can ya bake in a dutch oven?

I've been baking cornbread n biscuits under an upturned stock pot.

Works ok of you're real careful.

I used to have a big old DO like that, I guess its time to go git another one.

"And all this time you said you wanted heat when all you were really looking for was hot food"

hey no joke, I told the gas co to shove their LP tank yrs ago they were PO'ed I "didnt use enough" and wanted to charge me extra for some fee because I didnt get the tank filled often enough.

Harumph!

I've been cooking on a hot plate ever since, and being lazy, I've gotten into the habit of not cooking.

But it theres a hot stove there every day, begging to be cooked on.......

I'm gonna get mighty fat this winter.

Gotta find a decent stove top oven thing to use on a wood stove.

any ideas?

Most certainly can bake in one. One trick I've used is to place a layer of salt at the bottom. I have a baggie of salt (kosher salt) that I've used time and time again. Just leave about a 3/4 inch layer in the bottom and place potatoes on top to bake, or a pie plate, etc. Not as accurate as a real oven but what the hell do you want!

pen

sausage and cabbage soup. how can ya not like that. warm ya cookin it and then eatin it.

Lots of Polish folks round here like their cabbage & potatoes. Forget what they call it. All the bazaars & carnivals have it.
Also Perogies & Potato pancakes. They even have a big Kielbasa festival every year.
I love it all, yummmmm

pen said:
I am down with the original dish! Let hear it for butter!!!! Nothing is a better friend to potato and cabbage than butter, well, i guess you also have to factor in salt and pepper, but they are all a team!

What???? No other Pole's representing? It is awful tough to make Haluski w/out cabbage!

For those less cabbage inclined, a good old pot roast never gets turned down too often. (this was last winter on the old fisher. I hope the nc-30 is a cooker)

BACON is a great friend to the tater and cabbage.
for all the cabbage haters have you tried fried cabbage?

get you a little bacon grease in the bottom of a pot cut up your head cabbage I like about 1" squares.
pot over med heat let the grease get hot put your cabbage, salt, and pepper in put the lid on.
when the cabbage starts to wilt give it 10 more minutes and it is done. (if it has a Sauerkraut taste cook it a lil longer)
I stir it 2-4 times the whole while it is cooking.
crumble and add the bacon in (optional but yummy).

Nyquil Junkie said:
Gotta find a decent stove top oven thing to use on a wood stove.

any ideas?

I found two pieces of slate left over from the orginal hearth install.
They measure 6"x9"x1/4" and work great.

pen said:
It is awful tough to make Haluski w/out cabbage!
...or galobkis ! (gaw-WOOM-kees)
My grandmother pan-fried them in bacon grease. No tomato sauce. Yummmm !!!!

Brian VT said:
pen said:
It is awful tough to make Haluski w/out cabbage!
...or galobkis ! (gaw-WOOM-kees)
My grandmother pan-fried them in bacon grease. No tomato sauce. Yummmm !!!!

Oh yeah . . . galobkis (never realized this is how it is spelled) are wicked good . . . in fact I mentioned to my wife that I would like to make up some this winter since it's been awhile. We've always used the tomato sauce.

As for the cabbage and potatoes, as an Irishman (and well about a half dozen other nationalities) I think the only thing missing is the corned beef and some carrots perhaps!

Status
Not open for further replies.