Moaning Auger motor - single auger englander new this year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenstogie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 2, 2012
Albany (ish)
So i come home to a relatively cold house with a full hopper of pellets. Checked the vacuum switches and clean them (though they were clean already) and hit the start.button and MOANNNnNnnnnnn!

I assume that the auger and or chute are clogged up and proceed to empty the.hopper and vacuum as much as I can out..... yet still it moans. I turn it off as i do not want to fry out my motor.

Do I have to remove the auger and or motor??

Is there another option??

Is it a pain to remove??

Any other wisdom information the knowledgable can fill me in on??

Thanks all :)

Two main possibilities,auger seized/dragging in bushings,or motor assembly is bad.Remove motor and see if auger spins freely by hand.

Had the same thing happen .I went into the drop chute , from the front with a long piece of coat hanger wire, and poked at the upper section where the up feeding auger joins the down chute .Just go easy and see if you might something caught at the top. I found some long pellets and fines stuck there and preventing the auger from turning.

All fixed :) ......and here is what i think.the culprit is errr was..... there are 2 (yes englander assembly dude, 2) set screws that hold the motor in place they are both 1/8 inch allen set screws to be precise and I am thinking that it is probably a good idea to tighten both of them. :p

I am surprised the auger didn't bind up already with this winter the way it has been.

Nonetheless all fixed and burning fine now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.