Mobile Home installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe the Goat

Oct 4, 2016
Arkansas
Hi guys!

I've been installing my wood stove the last few months, considering everyone's advice here along the way! But now I have a question of my own...

I'm installing the Pleasant Hearth HWS-224172MH (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pleasant...Wood-Burning-Stove-with-Blower-Small/21264177)

I'm almost finished, and working on the hearth. I have to hit an R value of 2, and between that, and desired rigidity, I've got (from the bottom up):

Thin trailer subfloor
23/32 OSB
1/2 Micore 300
1/4 Hardiebacker
1/2 Micore 300
1/4 Hardiebacker
1/2 Hardibacker 500
Ceramic tile

These layers are dry fitted, but not yet thinset or permanently fashioned, except for the tile, which is not in place yet.

Now, since it is a mobile home, I have to run a outside air intake, a ground wire, and bolt the entire thing down to the floor.

My question is, won't the heat from the stove just travel down the #8 copper wire, and/or the 3/8" threaded rod that will bolt it down, bypassing my expensive hearth?

Thanks for reading!

I mean, I have even read about concern about the nails and screws holding down backer board transferring heat down through the hearth material, bypassing the insulation. Surely a copper ground wire, let alone a 3/8ths threaded rod, would be worse!

Skip the in between layers of hardibacker. Instead start with a 1/2" plywood bottom, then 1" micore, the 1/2" Durock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Ground the stove where it bolts to the hearth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Skip the in between layers of hardibacker. Instead start with a 1/2" plywood bottom, then 1" micore, the 1/2" Durock.

Thanks...The micore felt so soft/spongy, that I thought I should stiffen it up.

With thinset between each layer, you are saying it will be strong enough?

Thanks for replying!

Micore is soft. If you want to stiffen it up, put a double layer of Durock on top and stagger the seams. No need for thinset between layers.

Status
Not open for further replies.