Moddifing my VC Vigilant.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sopoburner

Jan 26, 2010
S.P. Maine
THE GOAL
To get more heat from my firewood.
Cleaner emissions.
Something fun to ponder, and maybe do.

I have a VC Vigilant77 and I want to add a secondary combustion plate to the inside.

I looked inside a jotul Castine and saw that is has a 'corrigated' burn plate inside the 'roof' of the stove.
I want to add something like that to my stove.

Here is the pitch.
I have already cut a piece of thick galvinized sheeting that I want to 'Hang' of the hinge lip of the dampner.
The piece of metal would have a matching lip that would slide into that gap where the Dampner meets the fireback and then come down about 4" along the fireback , then it would protrude forward and up at an angle, until it came about 3 inches from the front(inside) of the stove. The section that protrudes forward would be corrigated and would have holes drilled in it evenly spaced.

I almost never Top Load so that is not an issue to me. Plus the piece of metal should be able to just pop out if I ever needed to top load.

So...Who thinks this is feasible and wouldn't be a safety issue.?

Please feel free to offer design thoughts.

With the loading + the already built in secondary airflow, I don't think this would be the best one to alter to an upper secondary burn baffle. Perhaps with this stove it's best to just burn dry wood, no smoldering and keep the passages nice an clear and let the stove do its thing.

BeGreen said:
With the loading + the already built in secondary airflow, I don't think this would be the best one to alter to an upper secondary burn baffle. Perhaps with this stove it's best to just burn dry wood, no smoldering and keep the passages nice an clear and let the stove do its thing.

+1

sopoburner said:
So...Who thinks this is feasible and wouldn't be a safety issue.?

As a current VC Vigilant owner I do not think this will be worth the time, effort or money.

Could be interesting. If you do it, burn it outside for a while to make sue its safe. Make sure you look every safety aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.