Modernize

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cre8tiv

Nov 12, 2014
illinois
Hi fireplace community!

I need some help updating my fireplace while making it safe.

This thread covers utilizing a combination of products to modernize a fireplace while keeping safety in mind. The project covers removing a blower system and updating the fireplace refraction. I broke this posting down to sections; what I have, the current state, and the plans I have. Just want to make sure It isn't confusing.

What I have:

I have a traditional fireplace built in either 1979 when the home was built or in early 80's. It was modified by adding a blower system (image below).

befre_front.jpgbefore_inside.jpg

As you can see, this is not appealing. I plan on making the outside look like concrete using Cretewall and a gray color additive from Cretewall.

What it is now:

inside_after.jpg

In this image I had to remove thin metal refraction panels on the left/right side. there is a hairline crack in the rear firebrick wall. Flooring is in fantastic condition.

The Problem:

I need side panels! The manufacturer's tag is really hard to decipher due to years of fireplace usage. Here is what I can read:

- Company name is something "Products Incorporated"
- Location of company or where it was built is Nashville TN

After calling every major online fireplace store and also calling every fireplace store in Nashville, none has any idea other than Lennox. Either way, I am not able to replacements. I removed the originals as they were dinged up and bent.

The solution:

I did find some firebrick panels made by HPC here. I think these will be fine as I don't plan on making a huge fire. But then I got to thinking about making it even better and I wanted a concrete look. So I found this: Rutland Castable Refractory Cement that doesn't need curing. Its rated up to 2200 deg.

The plan is to install the panels (which actually fit almost perfect) then coat the panels with this refractory cement, about a 1/4 inch to 1/2 in thick. This will give me a fireplace that has cement coated throughout the inside thus giving the appearance the entire fireplace is made from a block of concrete.

Questions:

-
According to all the specifications, this should work flawlessly, but what do you ll think?
- Do I need to do anything special to make this work?
- Any other ideas? Trying to get the cost under 300$

Status
Not open for further replies.