Modifed my trailer...thanks to this forum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
Yep, scrounging has that effect on you. After hauling a few loads in the back of my Jeep, I brought the trailer down from VT. I figured I could haul more wood via the trailer than the inside of the Jeep.

This is your basic 4x8 Harbor Freight with the larger wheels. I beleive they make one just like this, but with a beefier axle. I think mine is rated for 1200 lbs?

I primarily use this trailer to haul my quad and take brush to the dump. The side rails worked just fine for that.

Brush run, taken last spring:

And a "before" shot of just the trailer:

Attachments

• DSC03802Medium.jpg
    DSC03802Medium.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG_1371Medium.jpg
    IMG_1371Medium.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 745
I had luckily built my side rails 2' high. So ripping down 2 sheets of plywood was all it took. I was able to have the guy at the Depot do this. I love going there at lunch on a weekday...no crowds.

Here it is all atogether. Yes, I'll be painting that eventually.

Total cost for this addition....$25 and a little time.

Attachments

• IMG_1372Medium.jpg
    IMG_1372Medium.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 741
  • IMG_1373Medium.jpg
    IMG_1373Medium.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_1374Medium-1.jpg
    IMG_1374Medium-1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 742
I like it! Nice job.

Thanks! I'm not ready to quit my day job just yet.

I just need to find some scrounge wood. Pickins are slim now that fall has rolled around.

Planning on the same improvement to my HF trailer for haulling leaves etc. Had that puppy loaded with some big red oak rounds this year. Axle was starting to bend, wife's minivan wasn't too happy pulling it either. :cheese:

That first picture looks like you put that whole pine tree in the background inside the trailer!

Nice work. Be careful, it will be really easy to overload that trailer, especially with dense wood such as oak, beech, etc.

x2 for the overloading potential. I have a smaller trailer than that and it is rated to about 1000lbs. If I strap rounds on it in a pyramid type shape that goes as high as your sides are then I can easily hit my max (probably plus a little). If you fill that entire box with some heavy wood then it's probably 3k pounds. I know pine is your game, but even then a full box of rounds probably gets you up to 2k pounds.

Hi 76,

Do you fold the trailer when not in use? I've been thinking about gettin me little folder trailer. I know all about the weight limits, but the 1400 # limit on the "heavy duty" folder is just about the comfortable towing capacity of my 1994 Ferd Ranger anyway, so I certainly wouldn't be loadin' it to the gills with eukie or even big pine rounds. But I don't have room for a bigger trailer and the folding ones look real attractive from that perspective.

I have some other uses (other than firewood) that the trailer would be awful handy for, but nothing that'll overload it. I might have to make more trips from time to time, but that's a trade-off I can handle.

Peace,
- Sequoia

looking like a wood hauler

Now you can haul bark mulch, manure, and other light weight loose material.

freeburn said:
That first picture looks like you put that whole pine tree in the background inside the trailer!

lol, that was the first thing that struck me too. Amazing shot.

You did a good job on that trailer. That will be much better for hauling wood.

Thanks guys, I do appreciate the feedback.

I certainly won't be hauling huge loads with that thing. Not only is it not rated for that, but I don't have much faith in those wood stakes holding back 2klbs of wood if I have to make a sudden manuver. I'd rather make more than one trip if it means being safe...vs saving time and doing something unsafe. Worse case...I just go back to get the rest.

Good point! I can haul other things in that trailer now too. Maybe I can pick up mulch vs having it delivered.

I don't fold this trailer. I did at first, but it was a bit of work for our small garage. Then I moved it to the shed..too much work for me. However, if space is limited, it's doable. You just have to be mindful of the folding option when you build it. You'll need to cut the decking in half. Also, when you build the side rails, make sure you can take them apart fairly easily. Over all, it's been a great trailer for a great price. I think I've had mine since 2004?

LOL! Totally didn't mean to block the plate! If I did, I would have photoshopped it out.

manure is very heavy and how i found the bad weld on my dump trailer...

i have a 4x6 trailer from tractor supply, its rated for 2000. i built it up so that when i load it to the gills, its right at its limit. i only transport a few miles. can hold just shy of a half cord of sugar maple. now the hickory that i cut, thats a different story... i usually only take a half load at a time because its so much heavier.

SolarAndWood said:
manure is very heavy and how i found the bad weld on my dump trailer...

This can be true depending on, well, the moisture. It is grenerally very heavy so you can't fill to the brim. The side boards allow you to haul "some" manure without it leaking out on the road.

Bark mulch is pretty light weight and you can get more in.

You'll need to watch your weights with whatever you load since you obviously can carry a large volume now.

I would get rid of the pyl wood and beef up the side rails a little

smokinjay said:
I would get rid of the pyl wood and beef up the side rails a little

It's probably not worth it. No matter what, the trailer still has it's limits. It would probably make sense to get a beefier trailer if I ever intend on hauling more. For now, this should hold up just fine. But we all know how long that thought always lasts. "I need something better!" :lol:

I have a similar one just the next size up 6x8 with 2' sides and it can hold more than it can handle, the tires are a weak point and I overloaded it more than once.
The lesson learned was I just can't stop loading more wood if there is room so I found a bigger trailer and thought I would sell the old one but it still comes in real handy and I can't part with it. I put it next to the splitter and throw splits in it then transport them to the skids to season.
If you can keep yourself from loading up too much it should work good for wood and great for mulch, brush, or anything else loose.

Thanks Tony. Feel free to post pics of your trailers.

I'm looking forward to testing mine out.

Status
Not open for further replies.