modified Eng 25 burnpot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gio said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
the light dimmer cut 30w from the combustion blower which is running quieter. slowed exhaust allowed for lower setting of pellet feed while keeping the fire from going out intermittently. glass, which gets hit by the burnpot output, is getting ash on it more but the ash wipes off with paper. exhaust outside is clear, not smoky.singlewall exhaust pipe is under 150*f , actual exhaust temp ~220*f.............stove runs radiant & room blower dont come on hardly. fan constantly blowing on exhaust pipe from rear of stove cools the pipe ala Magic Heat style

So whats the advantage of running it without the room fan coming on to extract heat off the exchanger ?
The stove wasn`t designed for radiant heat alone. The heat exchanger method of extracting heat from it is best.
Originally on #1 heat setting of my P-38 (very low flame) my stove distribution fan would shut down but the radiant heat off it was very minimal and since the control board didn`t allow the distribution fan to run too often , most of the heat went out the exhaust. I did some rewiring to allow for full time manual variable speed control and I can now get close to 40 hrs from a bag on #1 heat setting and still get a fair amount of heat from it. I didn`t screw with the combustion system.
Of course the Englander PDVC flame control on the lowest settings aren`t as exacting as what`s on the Harman P-38 and the Harman will provide a longer burn from a bag but my PDVC works pretty darn good as it is and I don`t see a lot of room for improvement in it`s design and especially not with what you are doing.
pellet burns & makes heat, exhaust gas is ~ 220*f - any heat not going out stays in the house. no room blower = save 40w electric + save fan motor from wear. as is stove is pulling ~65w for exhaust blower, bottom auger, & 18w fan blowing on exhaust pipe & into open back of stove. room blower [set on 8] did come on for 15min/hr this morn. light dimmer has sweet spot where the exhaust blower is very quiet too

Or you house burns down! Is your homeowners insurance up to date?

When we gonna see some before and after comparisons? Can't do a proper standardized scientific test with no base line data! Or just winging it = Not very scientific!

basket with sawdust

Attachments

• 100_2451 (Medium).jpg
    100_2451 (Medium).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 288
Saw dust = no auto feed system. You have to manually lad the basket? Kinda defeats the purpose of the pellet stove with a hopper.

Maybe get a wood stove with only natural draft to burn saw dust? use the 111 you got as the feed sytem.

j-takeman said:
Saw dust = no auto feed system. You have to manually lad the basket? Kinda defeats the purpose of the pellet stove with a hopper.

Maybe get a wood stove with only natural draft to burn saw dust? use the 111 you got as the feed sytem.
sdust jams the augers & aint dry enuff to burn smoothly. if it gassifies & ignites= boom! i think thats what cracked my stoveglass when i wasnt looking. furnace cement sealed it well.

~*~vvv~*~ said:
j-takeman said:

sdust jams the augers & aint dry enuff to burn smoothly. if it gassifies & ignites= boom! i think thats what cracked my stoveglass when i wasnt looking. furnace cement sealed it well.

You said, BOOM? I just don't see the point in what your trying to do beside blowing sumthin up. Just doesn't sound safe. I am really surprised that you can dump the dust into the stove with out a major flash back at you. Hows them eye brows doing?

j-takeman said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
j-takeman said:

You said, BOOM? I just don't see the point in what your trying to do beside blowing sumthin up. Just doesn't sound safe. I am really surprised that you can dump the dust into the stove with out a major flash back at you. Hows them eye brows doing?
ya, fire is just a controlled explosion. build up the gas & ignite=boom! burn the gas smoothly with minimum air=Europa

~*~vvv~*~ said:
j-takeman said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
j-takeman said:

ya, fire is just a controlled explosion. build up the gas & ignite=boom! burn the gas smoothly with minimum air=Europa

Then buy one! I sure hope nobody else try's this?

What is the point in this pook or did I miss something here?

j-takeman said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
j-takeman said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
j-takeman said:

Then buy one! I sure hope nobody else try's this?

What is the point in this pook or did I miss something here?
point is stove has been modified & comments are considered

I chuckled reading all the posts. You did a lot of r/d and didn't accomplish much. A wood stove radiates, a pellet stove by convection, no efficiency your way.

slls said:
I chuckled reading all the posts. You did a lot of r/d and didn't accomplish much. A wood stove radiates, a pellet stove by convection, no efficiency your way.
lol, heat is heat & exhaust blower is 160*f be4 room blower comes on.

slls said:
anything that gets hot radiates heat. its the volume & temperature of air going out the chimney that loses heat

I think you got me lost here. The basket is for the saw dust and chips. The modded pot is for pellets?

With the modded(and slowed comb blower), how much heat are you keeping in the room and not out the vent?

j-takeman said:
I think you got me lost here. The basket is for the saw dust and chips. The modded pot is for pellets?

With the modded(and slowed comb blower), how much heat are you keeping in the room and not out the vent?
mod pot is for pellets only @ slow burn. my goal is to get a steady flame with little change in size of the flame as the pellets sporadically feed. Franks told me the Europa has the most constant flame of all the stoves he sells & i think this is the key to its efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.