modifying a two way splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mstoelton

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2013
SE michigan
I think it is possible. I think the main concern is the one you already address (flipping over).

If you don't mind welding on your splitter (assuming you bought it brand new and have access to a welder) then it can be done in a morning.

also concerned about hydraulic capacity. The splitter only has a 3 gallon capacity, may need to increase it somehow.

You would need to add a hydro direction valve or add another power beyond valve to the one you have on the splitter.

Like S.D. said weld your own heck you could buy a welder and still make one about what they want for this one. I don't think the 3 gals.would be a problem but it dozes seem low for that size splitter overall rule of thumb twice the volume of pump.

overall rule of thumb twice the volume of pump.

Not in the world of splitters. I know of no factory built homeowner splitters that even come close. An 11 gpm pump with a 6hp engine would need 22 gallons of oil for your rule to hold true. Most come with far less than 10 gallon tanks.

It'll depend on the size logs you want to lift too, as that smaller splitter may just was to roll over. On the tank size, my Didier splitter came with and ran on about a 2 gallon tank for 25 years without any problems.

Not in the world of splitters. I know of no factory built homeowner splitters that even come close. An 11 gpm pump with a 6hp engine would need 22 gallons of oil for your rule to hold true. Most come with far less than 10 gallon tanks.

Totally agreed.

You need a big enough tank that the hoses and cylinders take less than 1/3 the capacity. Bigger is better for cooling, but his hydro fluid capacity really depends on how big the cylinder he is adding is and how much hydraulic line it will need.

Status
Not open for further replies.