modifying burn pot receiver to combat ash, anyone or just me? Bottom feeders need not read.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heatison

Dec 7, 2008
Putnam County NY
Hello

I've read about some newer high end stoves that have ash dumps or trap doors but has anyone modified their existing setup(burn pots/receiver) in order to achieve longer burn times before clean outs? I know a better pellet would be the easiest way out but I have 2 tons of these pellets to burn up. My Glow boy stove has a removable burn grate like the most of us as well as a square receiver for that grate. In the receiver I placed a ramp for the air to run directly to bottom of burn grate the whole width of receiver. It's made out of steel 16 gauge and is solid with no slits or holes. The ash is collecting on the ramp and is not being forced out of the top giving me a longer run time before clean outs. The ramp is directed to the middle floor of burn grate so there is some room for ash behind ramp towards front of receiver. My receiver unbolts so I tempted to remove and modify for a slide style trap door with a rod extending externally to dump while running. Of course a hole would need to be drilled in side of stove for rod so not for the faint of heart! Maybe I'll try it on my old Lopi 400 first! Anyone done anything like this or are we just coping with ash build up?

Frank

Why not just open the door and do a quick swipe with a putty knife or something? Interesting idea, but I'm not sure I would dare.
Mike -

heatison said:
Hello

I've read about some newer high end stoves that have ash dumps or trap doors but has anyone modified their existing setup(burn pots/receiver) in order to achieve longer burn times before clean outs? I know a better pellet would be the easiest way out but I have 2 tons of these pellets to burn up. My Glow boy stove has a removable burn grate like the most of us as well as a square receiver for that grate. In the receiver I placed a ramp for the air to run directly to bottom of burn grate the whole width of receiver. It's made out of steel 16 gauge and is solid with no slits or holes. The ash is collecting on the ramp and is not being forced out of the top giving me a longer run time before clean outs. The ramp is directed to the middle floor of burn grate so there is some room for ash behind ramp towards front of receiver. My receiver unbolts so I tempted to remove and modify for a slide style trap door with a rod extending externally to dump while running. Of course a hole would need to be drilled in side of stove for rod so not for the faint of heart! Maybe I'll try it on my old Lopi 400 first! Anyone done anything like this or are we just coping with ash build up?

Frank

Running a glow boy 120 myself and have had crazy problems with ash build up in the burn pot. I can't picture what you are doing by your description though. Could you post some pix?

Right now, on higher settings I have to stir the burn pot every couple of hours.

---scott

I've been modifying mine for a couple weeks now (it's a Whitfield Traditions). The stove is new to us and I'm fiddling with it, although the problem I'm dealing with isn't ash. Rather, a small portion of the pellets end up missing the burn pot and land only on the right side, behind the ceramic logs. I suspect it is caused by the angle and rotation of the auger and how it feeds pellets. Initially, I cut and bent sheet metal so that I could test what would deflect the most pellets back into the pot, without causing other problems. One design worked but allowed too much ash to collect on the sheet metal above the burn grate - got that fixed. I'm fairly close to being satisfied and I'll probably cut up and weld some 1/8 stainless that will rest on top of the burn pot but will still allow air movement and easy removal with the ceramic logs in place.

Devo said:
I've been modifying mine for a couple weeks now (it's a Whitfield Traditions). The stove is new to us and I'm fiddling with it, although the problem I'm dealing with isn't ash. Rather, a small portion of the pellets end up missing the burn pot and land only on the right side, behind the ceramic logs.

Is your stove level and the pellet feed centered?

I have a factory approved mod for my fire pot liner and have been thinking about three mods two to the fire pot and one to the liner. I'd like to be able to burn standard grade pellets without having to shut down and fiddle with cleaning under the liner every 12 hours or so. A dump would help as would a deeper pot or sallower liner. Maybe all three would be ideal.

I have just last week, unhooked the Tine auger/Fuel stirrer on my Countryside Magnum and put in a deeper burn pot. Now instead of annoying grinding noises coming from the pot as the auger stirs under the pressure of builtup/unburned corn, I just fish out the "
puck" 2x a day and kinda reboot the stove a bit. Less full cleanouts, now 2x a week instead of 4, a bit more heat, very small amounts of fly ash and a fuller flame. I like it so far, but as with everything with these stoves it is a learning process.
The countryside is a auger /drop feed unit, witht the draft coming fully from under the burn pot.

heatison said:
Hello

Frank

The issue appears to be that your air damper should be opened further to allow the ash to be pushed out. The fire should have a white yellow ting with the big red chunks of pellet in the bottom slightly moving.
Try adjusting it on #4 feed first then turn it down to a lower level.

OK I noticed over the years that if you pull damper out further the Pellets that are 3/4 burnt get blown out of the pot when the new batch gets dropped in which results in an uneven burn dulling the flame(high flames n high heat then low flames n low heat). Usually I run the stove on 2nd feed rate(out of 4 and 2nd fan speed out of 5). As far as a pic not yet. After 24 hours with the ramp in place the build up was roughly the same sooooooo guess it was a bust. Clean out retest without ramp for back to back comparison. Pix tomorrow?

Thanks for the replies

"Bottom feeders need not read" Wow that's a new one! not to aloud read a post! Who is this pellet snot from Putnam County NY?

Darn it all pelletizer the party from Putnam County, NY was trying to save you some time. Give heatison a break will ya?

ok ok just stirring the pot a bit last night sorry putnum county folks,

Status
Not open for further replies.