Modifying burn rate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gomli

Jan 19, 2015
Ottawa, Canada
Good day everyone, I was wondering if anyone has a method of slowing the feed rate of a Pellet Stove that doesn't have that option ? I was thinking of adding a dimmer to the auger, but I'm not sure that would work...

My stove has only 3 settings for rate and 3 settings for blower speed. The air intake adjustment is made by non precise sliding panels.

My issue is that after sometime the pellets pile up in the burn pot and overflow. If I add more air to the mix to increase the burn, ashes fly everywhere and pellets popcorn out.

Thanks for any input.

Jo

Most pellet stove augers are on a time circuit as the feed needs the full power to screw in the pellets. I have not heard or seen a Heilsa. The stoves that seem to have feed-air issues usually need a very good cleaning or are in need of new gaskets etc. Whitfield used a slide to control air and Countryside Magnum still does.

Make a restrictor plate for the bottom of your hopper?
in other words, a plate with a hole smaller than the one there,
and just place it on top of the existing hole.
Making it 1/8" smaller can make a difference.
Have no idea what your hopper looks like... maybe it wouldn't work.
But it works on some, for sure... I have messed with mine, and was able to
get it to burn over 24 hours on a bag.

I turned down the auger on my st. Croix, theres adjustments on the back of the board but I would try a good clean first.

Status
Not open for further replies.