1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

modine garage heater issue

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by woodmeister, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodmeister

woodmeister New Member

Loc:
    lower ct. river
    anyone with a hot dawg heater having a problem with the insulation panels deteriorating ?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. PaulRicklefs

PaulRicklefs New Member

Loc:
    La Ronge, SK Canada
    What do you mean by insulation panels?
  3. Redox

Redox Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Burbs of B'more, MD, Hon!
    I hae no experience with that heater specifically so take this for what it's worth. If the insulation is between the heat exchanger and the outer jacket, it is what is giving you the protection from the ceiling overheating. If it is just the surface breaking down, it is probably no big deal, but if it is collapsing onto the heat exchanger, it is liable to start a fire. Can you post a pic or give more info?

Chris
  4. woodmeister

woodmeister New Member

Loc:
    lower ct. river
    yea, the sheet metal around the heat tubes has insulation that is covered with a metal foil. It appears that over time as the heat tubes get up to temp. they have slowly broke the insulation down tothe point the 'foil' has become brittle ind is blowing out of the unit.
  5. woodmeister

woodmeister New Member

Loc:
    lower ct. river
    Well I spoke to Modine didn't get any good info. I ordered the replacement insulation panels from them ( 3 apx. 12x14 = $80.00) man that hurts I still can't sit down i'm sure the materal can be had elsewere for 1/10 the price. Oh well
  6. PaulRicklefs

PaulRicklefs New Member

Loc:
    La Ronge, SK Canada
    Sorry to hear about that. Sucks when they can't make a quality product even though you pay a quality price. If I were you I'd consider not replacing the insulation and just letting it ride. As long as the fan is working you will have plenty of heat transfer off the heat exchanger to the air.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.