Modulating zone valve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickard

Feb 10, 2008
Western NJ
What is a modulating zone valve for and how does it work? I guess I am asking what modulates it. And can it be made to just work as open or closed?

thanks

Dean

Rickard said:
What is a modulating zone valve for and how does it work? I guess I am asking what modulates it. And can it be made to just work as open or closed?

It's typically used to control water temperature. Let's say that you have a radiant zone, which requires 100-degree water. You have that set up as a loop with a circulator that works either continuously or just whenever the thermostat is calling.

Your boiler supplies ~180-degree water, and the zone valve is (in this case) modulated by a temperature sensor attached to the radiant loop. When the radiant loop is below 100 degrees, it opens the valve to inject a bit of hotter water.

Typically, what "modulating zone valve" means is that the electronics to do that sort of control have been attached directly to the zone valve, instead of being housed in a separate enclosure. So it really would not be ideal for being used in place of a standard zone valve.

Joe

Thanks again Joe. This stuff is making more sense to me by the day.

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.