Moisture Content / Cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Brought some Cherry in Sunday , moisture content on 1 was 20 and the other 23 percent. The readings from today are in the pictures,

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0174.jpg
    100_0174.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 398
  • 100_0175.jpg
    100_0175.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 355
zapny said:
Brought some Cherry in Sunday , moisture content on 1 was 20 and the other 23 percent. The readings from today are in the pictures,

Zap

If your meter is true...
Split it and sniff it.....Black Cherry has no scent when seasoned.

WoodButcher

Ive had great success getting cherry to dry in a very short period. I'd put it up against ash any day

Rockey said:
Ive had great success getting cherry to dry in a very short period. I'd put it up against ash any day

+1 on that!

WOODBUTCHER said:
zapny said:

Zap

If your meter is true...

WoodButcher

That was resplit just before we brought it in, the Cherry has been cut and split since April.

Zap

zapny said:
WOODBUTCHER said:
zapny said:

Zap

If your meter is true...

WoodButcher

That was resplit just before we brought it in, the Cherry has been cut and split since April.

Zap

Good readings......I just threw some cherry in myself, great stuff.

Black cherry has about 10% more excess moisture when green than white ash. It is also has about 10% less btu's.
I think the smell that comes from burning it is great. Nice when cutting it too!

gzecc said:
Black cherry has about 10% more excess moisture when green than white ash. It is also has about 10% less btu's.
I think the smell that comes from burning it is great. Nice when cutting it too!

I was just about ready to comment on how good it smell when splitting. I think I will have to get me aload soon.

i have found pric meter readings can vary all over the split and can be wildly inaccurate

Rockey said:
gzecc said:

I was just about ready to comment on how good it smell when splitting. I think I will have to get me aload soon.

Black Birch is #1 in my book for good smell'in split'in

WB

lexybird said:
i have found pric meter readings can vary all over the split and can be wildly inaccurate

The wood will be down to 13 - 14 % when I start burning it.

Zap

Rockey said:

Cherry and ash are both great that way and I love both of them, although I do put ash a bit ahead of cherry in the heat category. Not much, just a little bit.

I dropped a few choke cherry's in early April. Bucked, split and stacked pretty much in single rows.

I have the same moisture meter as in the first pics of this thread.

Resplit some on Saturday, MC is reading 30.

Things are not drying so fast around here.

KC

iskiatomic said:
I dropped a few choke cherry's in early April. Bucked, split and stacked pretty much in single rows.

I have the same moisture meter as in the first pics of this thread.

Resplit some on Saturday, MC is reading 30.

Things are not drying so fast around here.

KC

I think ours would have been around 30 percent but we covered the wood(tops only) in September.

Zap

Status
Not open for further replies.