Moisture Content - New Chick Learning the Ropes Thanks to YOU!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're WAY ahead of the game. You're on here learning.

You've learned a lot. A few of the BIG ones.

1) Just about NONE of the wood sellers is selling dry wood. They almost all split for delivery. So if you're buying.. you MUST buy enough for 2 or even 3 years from now if you have the real estate to store it and season it yourself.

2) You've got a great resource here. You CAN and WILL be able to burn safely this winter using any one of a number of methods. Envi blocks are a great start. You can mix that in with sub par wood ( sub par wood is fine, as long as you pay sub par price) and 'get by'

keep reading. There's lots of threads from this time last year exclaiming.. what do I do? I don't have any dry wood? It's as regular as the leaves changing this time of year. Read thru what others did, and how they coped. Keep reading, and keep asking questions.

Oh.. and welcome to the club of wood nuts!

JP

Check Craigslist. There was recently a post from someone in North Branford ( I think) who said he had seasoned wood. 18 months.
Seeing a lot of posts saying seasoned.....but split to order. Yeah...no thanks
I spoke to a guy over the summer about wood. Never called me back. I think I asked too many questions about seasoned wood for his liking.

There is a man on the Lebanon green with a trailer load of wood that looks good. Sign says $200 a cord. I have no first hand experience buying wood but I sure wish I was selling it.

There's lots of misinformation and arm-waving about fuel preparation. Like "20 or 25% MC is just fine." Empirically, with an EPA stove, drier is better. Period.

In CT the legal concept of "seasoned" is meaningless to BS. Legally in CT "seasoned" is "cut and air dried for at least six months". No mention of length or splitting. For the full discussion, see http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/forestry/tips_for_buying_firewood_new_final.pdf for a taste of the BS content.

You won't hear such terms relative to lumber processing. They contribute nothing.

If the wood was good hardwood at a true 28% for $260/cord it doesn't sound too bad to me. I paid $220/cord for freshly split green wood this spring that is seasoning for 15/16.

I'm from the other side of the state, but call local tree guys and see if the sell firewood. At the very least buy some wood to have. We have a lot of Ash trees in ct and they dry fast. Are you considering splitting and stacking yourself. Could save a little$

Remember......moisture content on a fresh split

You're WAY ahead of the game. You're on here learning.

You've learned a lot. A few of the BIG ones.

1) Just about NONE of the wood sellers is selling dry wood. They almost all split for delivery. So if you're buying.. you MUST buy enough for 2 or even 3 years from now if you have the real estate to store it and season it yourself.

2) You've got a great resource here. You CAN and WILL be able to burn safely this winter using any one of a number of methods. Envi blocks are a great start. You can mix that in with sub par wood ( sub par wood is fine, as long as you pay sub par price) and 'get by'

keep reading. There's lots of threads from this time last year exclaiming.. what do I do? I don't have any dry wood? It's as regular as the leaves changing this time of year. Read thru what others did, and how they coped. Keep reading, and keep asking questions.

Oh.. and welcome to the club of wood nuts!

JP

Thank you! I've been addicted to this site for some time, but I'm learning it's the actual DOING that's intimidating. Between here and youtube, I should be an expert in no time!

Reactions: BrotherBart
If the wood was good hardwood at a true 28% for $260/cord it doesn't sound too bad to me. I paid $220/cord for freshly split green wood this spring that is seasoning for 15/16.
Yup, $260 seems to be the going rate here as well. My challenge is to find 16" splits; my Jotul can just barely take those.

'

Status
Not open for further replies.