Moisture content of dried wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just split more than a cord of ash I plan on burning this year too. I am not discounting the freezing temperatures as drying time though....I mean there is two really cool things in the winter around here a ton of sun and wind. The wind can break down ice and freezing and unfreezing squeezes water out of the center of the wood. I am counting on my wood being ready to burn in February....I am splitting the stuff I am going to be burning then smaller though.

I did the same split small and planning on burning it in Jan. earliest being december around x-mas time. I am hoping I have enough dry stuff to burn a couple days I was thinking I would burn thru 20-30 pieces in 24 hours and that was on the high end. So for a weekend I would be going thru 40-60 pieces. My box will only fit 6 logs at a time and that is jammed packed and that will last about 6 hours with damper wide open. With that being said I should be able to cut down to 4 pieces per 6 hours and still get plenty of heat with coals leftover.

Status
Not open for further replies.