Moisture Content Question & Update on dirty glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered a digital moisture content meter on eBay. I have a feeling my wood is not as seasoned as I've been led to believe and if I'm right I am going to find a new firewood source. I have bought wood from the same guy here locally for several years but now that I am educated a bit more I'm thinking his idea of "seasoned" and mine are different. When I questioned him about this last load he was a bit evasive.

Ok. What moisture content should seasoned firewood contain? I am going to measure my remaining wood and if it is not seasoned, I'm also going to take my MM with me to another local firewood lot and measure before I buy from them.

On a side note, I am still unhappy with the cleanliness of my glass door, so today I did the dollar bill test and found that the upper LEFT hand corner allowed me to pull the dollar right out. What is interesting is it is the RIGHT side of the door glass that gets the dirtiest.

In any event, I called my stove dealer and they will be coming out next Friday to replace the gasket. It may only need an adjustment but we'll see when they get here. I'm also going to have them check the chimney to see if it needs cleaning now. With the wood situation I want to be sure we are safely burning.

What is the average humidity where you live?? I think its funny you live in a desert and the woods not dry. Just get ahead a year on your supply leaving the new stuff in the sun to bake uncovered. Could be your desert wood has evolved ways to preserve moisture and needs a long time to dry out.

Anything under 25% will burn good. 15%-20% is best.

Dirty glass bugs me to. I think the new gasket should help along with dry firewood.

DriftWood said:
What is the average humidity where you live?? I think its funny you live in a desert and the woods not dry. Just get ahead a year on your supply leaving the new stuff in the sun to bake uncovered. Could be your desert wood has evolved ways to preserve moisture and needs a long time to dry out.

He most likely gets his wood from tree trimmers down the hill in Los Angeles or other places. I don't believe it's from Big Bear either because it isn't pine.

Today's humidity is 61% but that's because we're expecting rain tonight. Average humidity is low. June is 8-20%.

I need seasoned wood now so if it's too wet I'll get more and leave this wood to season here.

Todd said:
Anything under 25% will burn good. 15%-20% is best.

Dirty glass bugs me to. I think the new gasket should help along with dry firewood.

Bugs me too! My old stove was never clean but then it was an old pre EPA stove and didn't have the air wash, etc. I plan on cleaning the glass again a day or two before they come out (and before) so they can see what it looks like after a day or so of burning.

CountryGal said:
Average humidity is low. June is 8-20%.

I need seasoned wood now so if it's too wet I'll get more and leave this wood to season here.

Sounds like the best of both worlds hardwoods from the low lands and DRY desert to keep it in.

You do really need to get ahead one year. See if he gives a deal on green wood, a just tell him to bring up some just fallen stuff for next year and you want it in any time before summer starts.

Green wood will darken the glass, but so will dampering down the fire to much. Let her rip and see if it will self clean.

DriftWood said:
CountryGal said:
Average humidity is low. June is 8-20%.

Sounds like the best of both worlds hardwoods from the low lands and DRY desert to keep it in.

You do really need to get ahead one year. See if he gives a deal on green wood, a just tell him to bring up some just fallen stuff for next year and you want it in any time before summer starts.

I tried to get a delivery early spring this year and he never came through. The wood I had left from last year is gone so I had to get a delivery in the fall. That's what I am burning now and he said it was split in the spring, but seasoned. I know he splits and stores it at his place up here outside of town.

There's a firewood dealer in the closest town but they charge extra for guaranteed 18" logs and a hefty delivery fee for bringing it here (20 miles away). We're really isolated here in my little unincorporated town and at the mercy of the locals. There is another local guy in town on the highway and he's my next stop. First I want to see the actual moisture content of this last load and then I'll make a decision.

my parents love pugs..have had quite a few of them

Adirondackwoodburner said:
my parents love pugs..have had quite a few of them

They are really different for sure! I always wanted one and she's quite the handful but she's only a puppy. So much fun, especially when she does her 'pugtonas' in the living room, through the kitchen and down the hallway.

Let wood season for at least one year. This means split to final burn size, stack, and store. I always dry two full years and use wood in year 3. I also keep wood covered from rain/snow with good air circulation, including across the top of the stacks. Generally, as others have said, anything less than 20% should be fine. I have burned oak log splits in the past that I could start with a match and no kindling - they burned very nicely. Wood heat has been our primary heat for nearly 20 years -- sure beats the oilman.

Moisture meter: pin type just measures to depth of pins and between the pins. Surface type will measure maybe up to 2" into the wood. Also, reading may have to be adjusted based on species and type of meter. This adjustment probably not important for firewood purposes (will make a big difference if you're building cabinets). If your splits are thicker than 4", you will not know the interior moisture. Wood dries most from the end grain in. Take several readings, and you will likely find that moisture might vary quite a bit in a split.

Temps reached high 20's today and our passive solar has provided all of our afternoon heat. The stove sits in the corner looking radiantly at me, just wondering when we next we will need its attention.

jebatty said:
Let wood season for at least one year. This means split to final burn size, stack, and store. I always dry two full years and use wood in year 3. I also keep wood covered from rain/snow with good air circulation, including across the top of the stacks. Generally, as others have said, anything less than 20% should be fine. I have burned oak log splits in the past that I could start with a match and no kindling - they burned very nicely. Wood heat has been our primary heat for nearly 20 years -- sure beats the oilman.

Moisture meter: pin type just measures to depth of pins and between the pins. Surface type will measure maybe up to 2" into the wood. Also, reading may have to be adjusted based on species and type of meter. This adjustment probably not important for firewood purposes (will make a big difference if you're building cabinets). If your splits are thicker than 4", you will not know the interior moisture. Wood dries most from the end grain in. Take several readings, and you will likely find that moisture might vary quite a bit in a split.

Temps reached high 20's today and our passive solar has provided all of our afternoon heat. The stove sits in the corner looking radiantly at me, just wondering when we next we will need its attention.

Thanks. The one I ordered is a pin type.

I am going to have to re-think my firewood storage in order to have three year's worth stored. Right now I have a small pole-barn type right off the deck with 4 wood holders (holds a cord). I may have to put pallets down and add rails to the back and side to stack it instead. I really like the way I have it now as it gets maximum exposure to the wind and I can walk between the wood holders.

After I age my firewood I take a piece and split it again and test the moisture content in the center. That way I am sure it's good and dry.

I'm still awaiting my moisture meter I ordered. My stove dealer tech is coming out today. In fact they are running late for my 11am-12noon appointment. Perhaps I only need a door adjustment instead of a new gasket. We'll see. I cleaned the glass Wednesday night and just from burning Wednesday night and yesterday it is already pretty dirty. They will probably tell me it's the wood. That's very possible, but the dollar bill test also shows it isn't sealing the door tight. I'll update after they leave.

Well, he just left and he installed a new door gasket.

He also adjusted the door latch a bit to get a tighter seal. Checked my chimney pipe and said it was clean. The cap wasn't bad either but he cleaned it for me. I need to let the gasket sit for an hour or so and then I can fire it up. It was not only leaking air above the handle on the left top---the entire top flunked the dollar bill test.

The glass should stay cleaner now.

The cost???

ZERO! Now that's customer service!

Great! It's good to hear about good customer service. We mostly hear about the bad side here. Fire that baby up, and let us know if it's better.

Status
Not open for further replies.