moisture in the air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeb1heat

Feb 12, 2008
Jersey Shore
Many free standing stoves often have a water bath on top to put moisture into the air. I have an insert and was wondering if anyone had worked out a system to do the same. Inside air has really low humidity readings this winter. I guess I could just plug in a portable humidifier, but figured if it's been done, someone on this forum knows.

Thanks.

Humidifier's your best bet. Whatever you could rig up to have a little steamer on your insert wouldn't be a drop in the bucket if you really want to get the humidity up inside your home. Rick

Rick is right. A humidifier is about your only solution. Well, there is one more. My wife likes to dry the laundry by the wood stove. Now that is a way to raise the humidity level! It raises it quite fast too.

If you go the route of a humidifier, do your research, each type has some pro's / con's about them you want to be familiar with.

BTW, mine runs all winter and puts a few gallons in the air each day. W/out I'm fairly certain my wife would die from a severe nose bleed.

pen

our insert stuck out just enough from the fireplace opening to put a water tray on the front edge. the tray was one of those metal ones used for some type of plastering work that we found at the big box hardware store. it measured about 4'' x about 16'' and fit perfectly . pete

If you have a flush insert, the humidifier is your only option. It's definitely worth doing because low humidity can not only cause your sinuses to dry out, but it's not good for all the wood in your house, either. Your furniture will thank you for it!

Don't keep us in suspense Pen . . . any certain brands that we should or should not consider? Thinking I may get a humidifier in my house for this coming winter . . . house seemed dryer than in past years.

Status
Not open for further replies.