moisture in the stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
I was building a fire tonight and I noticed the stove was wet. It was the top part of it. I burnt a fire last night but not one today because is was too warm. We have had no rain at all today and I also have a chimney cap on. I also have no water pipes above the stove. Where could the water have come from? Could it be condesation from the chimney cooling down?

I notice that in my stove too. In my case it occurs ~ 5 mins after lighting it when the stove is COLD. Water actually drips off the edge of the "airwash lip" at the top of the door opening. It does that for about 5 minutes then stops.
I only see it when the stove is cold, and it burns good otherwise, so I just consider it normal, just like water dripping from a vehicle's tailpipe just after it's first started.
If my camera took good close-up pics, I'd snap a pic of the water dripping for you.

I get it too on start up, I figured it was the moisture escaping the wood and condesing on the metal while it was still cool. Dont see it on reload so I figure the metal it too warm to condense on then.

karl said:
The moisture was in the stove before I lit it. I noticed while I was putting wood in it.

Sounds like the Keebler Cookie Elves were playin with your stoves.

It's Magic Duuude.... What don't you understand about MAGIC?

I'm not sure about the humidity but yes it was warm out. I let the stove burn over night and go out before morning and didn't relight it all day until late that evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.