Moisture meter fun

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextEndeavor

Burning Hunk
Jan 16, 2011
Southern Iowa
Low priced general tools meter just arrived! I'm going around stabbing everything, even myself. Very interesting. Ash, pine, mulberry and maple out in well ventilated stacks coming in at 12 to 17 percent after just 4 months. That is right after splitting them down the middle today. However, the oak cut/split 15 months ago is coming up at around 25 percent. Cool, what we read here about red oak is right on. My "decorative" (for looks) wood left near the stove all summer in the air-conditioning is under 10 percent. I process my own wood but if I had to purchase current year fuel, I would not now do that without a moisture meter.

I got mine at Harbor Freight for $10. Great tool. When there is too much moisture mine reads...OL. Guess that means Over the Limit. Lowest I got so far was 8% on some ash. Mostly all mine is roughly 12-18%. Neat thing to have...Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.