Moisture meter...got it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered it...now I have it.

Went through my split pile out of curiosity. There were splits that I have smacked together and heard the nice high pitch "ping" sound. I figured I was in great shape for the coming season. I measured it from the exposed end...18%. Then I split it. I got 36% in the center on new surface. Wood is definitely dry.

There were new rounds that I just picked up. I did the same routine. These rounds that were just dropped less than a week ago were showing 38%. Do these two readings between the old split and this new split compare? Shouldn't there be more than 2% difference between

(meter seems to be working accurately. I checked some really old splits I had laying around. They were really dry. 11%. I know that is on target)

jj3500 said:
I got 36% in the center on new surface. Wood is definitely dry.

Is that typo? 36% ain't even close.

jj3500 said:
There were splits that I have smacked together and heard the nice high pitch "ping" sound... I got 36% in the center on new surface. Wood is definitely dry.
Shouldn't there be more than 2% difference between
Well, there you go... the more info you have, the more questions. I've never owned a moisture meter and have no desire to. Overall weight, the knock, and knowing how long ago it was spit and where it was stored is all the info I need.

This is going to sound like a Boss Hog (Dukes of Hazard) answer. Was that 36% of your 50% or...

Wood doesn't dry evenly. The good knock sound is the outer 50% that is dry. The inner 50% is still 36% so not quite the same as your benchmark known dry wood.

I have many moisture meters that I use for work. (at least 4-5) I mess around with them with my firewood, but I agree that knowing how long the wood has been split is the best way to KNOW that they're dry. Just tonight I re-split some ash that was split in March '09 and had 12% on the exterior and anywhere from 21% (on the ends) to 26% in the middle of the newly opened wood. It had been covered since the day it was split. Then I did the same with some Oak and Cottonwood. The Oak was split in December '08 and has been outside stacked but uncovered. It read 16%/31%. Same for the cottonwood (uncovered) The cottonwood read 14%/20%. It seems that cottonwood dries faster than oak (duh) and that ash, indeed does dry quickly. I have LOTS of ash for this winter and lots of oak for next.

BTW, all but the cottonwood had been freshly cut live trees when I split them. (I sold the cottonwood at our church auction, but the people haven't returned my call to have it delivered) I would like to get rid of it!!!!

If you bought the one that was linked to previously, it doesn't max out until 40%. So the 36% is probably accurate. Some species (notably red oak) can stay wet in the middle for a long time. From the outside you'd never know - they feel lighter and make a nice clink. They'll even burn well at first, but that moisture is coming out eventually.

Also, initial moisture content is very species dependent. I have the cheapo HF meter which maxes out around 37%, and most wood starts off higher than that. Ash is one of the lowest.

I bought one last season and to my dismay, found my wood was not seasoned to a desirable %. Burned all winter with no problems and very little creosote buildup. The moisture meter is in a drawer somewhere collecting dust.

LLigetfa said:
jj3500 said:
There were splits that I have smacked together and heard the nice high pitch "ping" sound... I got 36% in the center on new surface. Wood is definitely dry.
Shouldn't there be more than 2% difference between
Well, there you go... the more info you have, the more questions. I've never owned a moisture meter and have no desire to. Overall weight, the knock, and knowing how long ago it was spit and where it was stored is all the info I need.

This is going to sound like a Boss Hog (Dukes of Hazard) answer. Was that 36% of your 50% or...

Wood doesn't dry evenly. The good knock sound is the outer 50% that is dry. The inner 50% is still 36% so not quite the same as your benchmark known dry wood.

This is an excellent point to make - illustrates why smaller splits will season faster. Split the living crap out of your rounds and you should see some lower numbers more quickly...

Status
Not open for further replies.