Moisture Meter Reccomendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnIt13

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2010
Central MA
Hello all, there will be a wood stove in our near future and with it will come plenty of firewood. Since I've never had the luxury of splitting and burning my own wood, I figure a moisture meter will be in order.

Can you guys reccomend a fairly descent, reliable moisture meter that wont break the bank? Thanks!

As stated many time before the Harbor Freight one seems to work well for firewood.

oldspark said:
As stated many time before the Harbor Freight one seems to work well for firewood.

+1

$12 and comes with batteries. You won't get deep penetration with the stubby probes like you would with a pro unit, but you have to split the wood anyway, so that's irrelevant for firewood.

Attachments

• Inside-Split---Seasoned.jpg
    Inside-Split---Seasoned.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 490
IMHO most any cheapie will do...you only need to get into the "ballpark" anyways. I use mine from time to time just to confirm my thoughts on a pile...any reading near 20% is good to go for me.

Battenkiller said:
oldspark said:

+1

$12 and comes with batteries. You won't get deep penetration with the stubby probes like you would with a pro unit, but you have to split the wood anyway, so that's irrelevant for firewood.
Same one I'm using. No complaints here

Battenkiller said:
oldspark said:

+1

Good to hear. This is the exact one I have on order right now.

I need one of these to really get a handle on the wood burning techniques. How can you improve on burning if you don't know what your burning right?

Thanks for the thread,guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.