Moisture meter something I never thought I'd own

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Locust Post

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2012
Northeast Ohio
While doing a little ebay surfing last week I decided on a whim to purchase a moisture meter. It came today, so naturally I had to play. Just about the same results as I always see on here. Oak takes aeons to dry. Red & white oak split and stacked early 2012....red 30-32 % White 28-30 %. Maple, beech,cherry,ash & locust split close to the same time 19-20 %. Have some ash that I just split late spring that is at 25 % but most of it was from a woods that had been timbered early 2012.

Reactions: HDRock and Ashful
It's just good to know what U got, n where U R at

Where do you live? I posted around may that some stuff that I split and stacked in may of 2012 was reading 20-22% were all different though. I have some wood that's been split stacked for like 4 years and been under cover for 2 Yeats or more and it just at 15% and not loosening more. That's just cause I'm humid here. Our wood gets to about 22% in one year for oak / hickory.

Where do you live? I posted around may that some stuff that I split and stacked in may of 2012 was reading 20-22% were all different though. I have some wood that's been split stacked for like 4 years and been under cover for 2 Yeats or more and it just at 15% and not loosening more. That's just cause I'm humid here. Our wood gets to about 22% in one year for oak / hickory.
Heat is huge. The hotter your average temps, the quicker your wood is gonna dry. Your EMC is pretty comparable to a lot of US locations....

I just got my first moisture meter yesterday. Checked some Black Walnut C/S/S one year ago and all of it was under 20%. One thing I noticed is that the top of the stacks are lower moisture than the bottom of the stacks. The top must be getting all of the sun.

I just got my first moisture meter yesterday. Checked some Black Walnut C/S/S one year ago and all of it was under 20%. One thing I noticed is that the top of the stacks are lower moisture than the bottom of the stacks. The top must be getting all of the sun.

Yes Mitch that is one thing I will be looking at come Fall when I start moving wood to the patio.

If we made our piles short they would dry faster. But then u have 4x the space used?

Space is a slight concern of mine. I have over 20 cords but I would like to be able to space it out a little more. But I am blessed to have the space I do.

Not just sun but more wind, too, and less moisture creeping up from the ground. Since I will finally have plenty of seasoned firewood this winter I will probably take only the top 3/4 and just restack the bottom 1/4 to dry for another year. I think some people here restack in the middle of the year but that would be too much work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.