Moisture Meter Testing...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HybridFyre

Burning Hunk
Jan 13, 2014
CT
What should a douglas fir 2x4 (not one of the cheap 'green wood' ones) read at? All of my wood is rating very high with my moisture meter so I thought i'd try on some known woods. I have a Travis Industries moisture meter that I received with my insert so I can't check amazon reviews on it or anything like that. It has a low button that ranges from 1-15% and a high that ranges from 16-35%. Note the readings overlap as shown in the pic below so if it shows 35% that usually means it's over 35%.

When I poke it into a 2x4 it maxes out at 15% on the low reading but shows nothing on the high. I poked it into a cheap piece of ikea pine furniture and it gave no reading at all, and I poked it into a piece of outdoor wood furniture (unknown kind of wood) and it showed 27%. Seems like everything is reading high to me. Any thoughts? I have red oak that's been split and stacked since march and it still pegs out at 35%.

upload_2014-8-29_12-0-24.png

Go to lowes/HD and get a new one. Will be worth the $20. I think General is the brand that they stock.

I have the same one. If it maxes out at 15 on low and shows nothing on high you're at 15%. The low button is for 1-15 scale and the high button is for 16-35 scale.

I have the same one. If it maxes out at 15 on low and shows nothing on high you're at 15%. The low button is for 1-15 scale and the high button is for 16-35 scale.

Yeah I understand that part and how it works. I'm asking if mine is faulty. I thought Doug fir 2x4's would read more in the 10-12% range. All of my wood seems to read too high.

Interior unpainted trim should be in the 10-15% area. Your palm should be low 30's,

May be that the outside wood has absorbed some humidity, gotten rained on, etc. 15% on the Doug Fir doesn't surprise me if it's been outside, even covered. 35% on Oak doesn't surprise; It's one of the slowest-drying woods around. It needs two years split and stacked, maybe more if it's from a live tree. Did you re-split the Oak and test on a fresh face in the center of the split?

The doug fir was in my basement. I didn't split it or anything though. Humidity is at 65% in my basement so it's not too damp. Oak was tested in center on fresh split. I tried some maples drying split and stacked off the ground since March and they are still 25-27%. I sure hope my meter is reading high or I'm screwed.

If its sugar maple thats doing good to be down to 25-27%. If its silver its about right. Another couple months and it will be down to 18-20%

Does anyone have a favorite brand of moisture meter? Need one soon, is there an accepted "best"?

If its sugar maple thats doing good to be down to 25-27%. If its silver its about right. Another couple months and it will be down to 18-20%
Yep, you have a little more time if that's soft Maple (Silver or Red.) The Oak doesn't have enough time. You may have to lay in a supply of Bio-bricks if you don't have enough of that Maple.
Does anyone have a favorite brand of moisture meter? Need one soon, is there an accepted "best"?
The good ones (used by woodworkers) are expensive, but the cheapies are good enough for testing firewood; Harbor Fright is probably the cheapest at about $15. The "General" I got at Lowe's was a little under $30. Or there is a sticky thread at the top of the forum with a method for using a multimeter. There may be a 2-3% correction factor on some species of wood.

You can test your meter with a resistor. After all it is just an Ohm meter. Mine came with a test resistor built into its cap. A 1 MΩ resistor should read in the low 20% range based on the chart in the multimeter for moisture content thread. (Assuming your tines are spaced as specified in the chart.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Charlie2
Thanks. Got a cheapy from Harbor Freight. Have 8 cord standing. Had 2 delivered today. My wood tick didn't claim it to be seasoned (he's a neighbor, and won't oversell me). Last years oak 18%. This delivery, 28%. He's honest at least!

Looks like I've gotta move all the old stuff nearer the house before stacking the new stuff in its place! I've got a six year old ready for a workout!

Status
Not open for further replies.