moisture meter - what is a good metric?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
20% is good... Below is better ;)

BackwoodsSavage has wood that makes the meter read backwards! !!!

Reactions: Gark
I have had some wood that has been in our barn for a couple of years, up on pallet - can't wait to check it. Cord wood coming in a few days, mixed hardwoods supposedely seasoned. Can't wait to check that as well.

I have had some wood that has been in our barn for a couple of years, up on pallet - can't wait to check it. Cord wood coming in a few days, mixed hardwoods supposedely seasoned. Can't wait to check that as well.
Make sure you test it on a fresh split surface....

2 split cords delivered today. seasoned mixed hardwoods split. We split a couple and the reading was 21-22%. Not 20% but probably not so bad.???comments invited!

We split a few of what we had stored in our barn, 16% for the apple tree we lost in March. 14% for an old maple that came down last Fall, also stored split in our barn on pallets - we have approx 2 cords of the barn stored splits. We will use that first in our new Jotul F400.

We will stack the new wood under our deck with only the top layer covered, we usually drape the whole thing in a black tarp to "cook" it, but will try in the new way and see what it yields - probalbly will only drape it when we get our snow.

We use approx 3 cords in the winter so we are only one cord ahead. Gotta get going for next year since I don't have my smoke dragon any longer

Sounds like you're going to be able to witness first hand the difference between dry wood (the 21-22%) and really dry wood. Make sure you report back in January. ;)

Reactions: fox9988
hope that 22% wood dries out a lot between now and January !

20% is the threshold generally considered "acceptable" and under 25% will do ok, just not great. 2% to go, I think you'll be fine this winter, plus you've got some super dry stuff to mix in so your average moisture content per load will be well under 20%.

Status
Not open for further replies.