Moisture meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fossil

Accidental Moderator
Sep 30, 2007
Bend, OR
Sprung for an EXTECH M0220, and I really like it. It's a slick little deal. Rick

I got the 210. Do you split the piece ( again ) before testing it? Otherwise it's just a surface reading, correct? The manual says to insert the pins vertical to the grain. I can't seem to bury the pins to easily, thats for sure. Do you think they are accurate?

Yes, I split the wood and go right to the "heart" of it, or that place farthest from the ends and sides, so I get a feel for just how seasoned the wood is. I don't think testing on the cut end of a split, (or for that matter, the side of one that's been split for some time) is going to tell me much about the condition of the interior of the wood. I push the pins in as far as I can, parallel with the grain, perpendicular with the face of the split. On a really hard piece of wood, I'd think tapping a small nail in a couple of places to facilitate the pins penetrating might be worth a try. As to just how accurate it is, I really can't say, because I've no way to quantitaively assess its performance. Qualitatively, I can say that the readings have been consistent with what I know about some of the wood I have on hand...seasoned Lodgepole pine read out at about 10% or lower, while recently cut Juniper read about 30%. Sometimes I push the pins into a split and get no reading at all, so I try again in a different spot and get a reading that seems to make sense. Still learning, but I like it. Rick

Rick: I have the extech as well. When I go out to the woodsheds I take a hammer and a nail with me . That way I can push the probes in to the max. It does seem to be fairly accurate,when you test new wood and then test the seasoned stuff. Huge diff in the readings.

What would we do without our gadgets? The wife calls it a foolish little toy in the hands of a foolish man. ha,what do they know ;-P

Yeah, Sonny, I was just out fiddling around with mine some more, and I'm convinced that it's telling me something. Are the readings I'm getting accurate to 0.1% moisture? I don't know and I don't really care. It's telling me something that I sometimes find pretty hard to tell without it...the wood's ready for the stove or it's not.

As for the wife, I've taken a good deal of grief over the years about all my tools & whatnot...but ever since she got into fiber arts and quilting, and "needs" 4 sewing machines, two spinning wheels, a four-harness floor loom, and about a cord of fabrics & etc., we just sort of laugh about our latest toys. Besides, she really appreciates us heating with wood, and does everything but split (so far)...she stacks, carries, builds & tends fires, she's a jewel. Rick

Todays experience proves how useful this tool is. Still got about 4+ cords of cedar mill ends that I bought in Feb under tarps. Picked up a couple of pieces thinking winter aint over and they felt light, clunked nicely, and put them to the moisturer meter test.

Well, sure they felt nice and light cause that is the nature of that wood, but measured 44% moisture. thats about 20% too wet to burn. by the way mine only measures up to 44% so could be even higher?

:) so instead of burning that stuff, I knocked out some boards at the back of my woodshed and am burning the stuff that tested 22% instead. ya, I know dipping into next years stuff. better to burn that than the wood that ain`t no where near ready yet. So a very useful little tool indeed :coolsmile:

I have a cheapy $20 Nicety WM801A meter. Directions say to insert pins 5mm into wood. If I press it in further I usually get a higher reading. I used it today looking for some dry Silver Maple, found a bunch at 20% and it's burning in the stove right now.

These would be a great tool for people that buy firewood. When the firewood guy drops off a load of so called seasoned wood, you can split a few pieces, take readings and show the firewood guy just how seasoned his wood really is.

I guess I should have asked if the unit was consistant rather than accurate. I wasn't sure about the "vertical to the grain" instruction either. Thanks for the info. I'm trying to keep tabs and make a comparison between a holz hausen and straight rows for seasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.