Moisture Meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

80s Burnout

Oct 2, 2008
South Shore - Boston
Hi. I would like to buy a moisture meter to check wood that I hope to purchase. There has been a lot of talk about moisture meters here, but I just want to confirm exactly what is being discussed. Do people use the same kind of moisture meter that one would use for normal home applications? Like when I had a home inspection....the guy held a meter to the ceiling to look for "wet" spots. Can I use the same kind of meter? I would think so but just want to check. Are there any prefered meters that people use? What do they cost?

Thanks.

Burnout

I purchased one of these fancy ones on ebay, it has remote probe and temp gauge and settings for different densities of wood. It may be over kill for what you need, just a simple basic Moisture Meter for under 20 bucks is what the you should consider if you are just doing firewood and ceiling tiles and such.

Don't buy the yellow Cen-tech one, I did off ebay and it doesn't work right and the seller wont respond to my question about it.

Shipper

I got the cen-tech 96472 at Harbor Freight for $15 as recommended by some people on this board. Others on here suggest the battery didn't work too long and it will seem that way if you don't make good contact with the wood.
Paying anything more is toxic consumerism.

Status
Not open for further replies.