moisture meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wingsfan

Feeling the Heat
Dec 1, 2008
Jackson,Mi.
I bought one several months ago and have had no problems with it. The ideal moisture content of seasoned firewood is less than 20%. I use my meter with wood in my kiln and when the ends read 0 the inside of the wood is usually less than 20 as I have split many pieces and tested them.

I have the one on eBay but it is the 4 pin meter. It does seem to work but wonder what reading on the end means the wood is really dry. If the end reads 17%, is the wood still too wet to burn? The maple I cut last spring is reading around 17%, some elm that had been dead for many years reads around 6%.

I have the harbor freight one as well and it seems to read correctly as to what my wood is. In other words my three plus year old wood shows 6% and ash that I cut and split mid summer stacked in my yard uncovered tested yesterday at 20%.

The harbor freight one is kind of cheap looking but seems to work well so far. A quality unit will cost around $100. I figured the harbor freight one was worth a try and I have been happy so far.

I have the cheaper Harbor Freight one- with two pins, non- digital readout. I like it. I suspect it is fairly accurate. I got mine for just under 10 dollars by receiving the mailer and using a 15 percent off coupon, plus catching a sale. That model can be had for 15 dollars any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.