moisture meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
Just picked up my moisture meter at Lowes for 25 bucks. Just wanted to see what your guys guess would be for my meter before I measure it. Its pignut hickory that I had split and stacked in early March. Its stacked on pallets 3 rows deep and has been uncovered sitting in the dead sun and decent wind since then. The bark is starting to fall right off. I live in NJ so I have had some humid weather this summer. OK give me your estamates and I will let you know after a day what the moisture meter says. Im curious myself.

Hickory can dry quicker than oak but still takes a while. If the bark is just starting to come off, I'm guessing you still have a wee bit on the high side but not too bad if you've had a lot of sun and a good breeze. Also depends on how small you split it and how the rows are laid out in relation to the breeze.

Hmmm.... 24%

Twenty inch split 2" across 19%. 4" across 22%. 1" across 15.7%. Save your money boys, the winning entry is in.

Status
Not open for further replies.