1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Moisture Meter

Post in 'The Gear' started by dylskee, Oct 19, 2012.

1. dylskee

dylskee Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central MA
    Hello all,

I'm worried I'm burning wet wood through my brand new Fireview so I hit the road this morning trying to find one to no avail. I can't find one in stores around here, I'm going to call Sears and see if they carry them in stores but if they don't I will buy one from Amazon. I found one that looks pretty good but I wanted to get your opinion before I pulled the trigger on one.

How's this one? Looks like it has good reviews........
    http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools...qid=1350665235&sr=8-1&keywords=moisture meter

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I see no reason why that unit wouldn't work just fine. We are not dealing with cabinetry, just firewood. Basically just looking for ballpark numbers.
  3. dylskee

dylskee Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central MA
    Okay, thanks Jags..... :cool:
  4. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    I have the same one and it seems to work well. Only thing I'm not happy with is the prongs bent a bit easy IMO. I've heard the company would replace had I called, but I never got around to it.

Lowes carry's those in my area. If yours doesn't, get it through amazon.com and it will be there in a few days. http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-MMD4E-Digital-Moisture/dp/B00275F5O2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350667540&sr=8-1&keywords=general moisture meter If I remember correctly, it was cheaper when I saw it in Lowes

Also, if you get that meter, just be warned that you need to hold the power button down for 3-5 seconds to get it to fire up. I've heard of folks sending it back thinking it didn't work, when I don't believe they held the power on button in long enough

pen
  5. Halligan

Halligan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern Massachusetts
  6. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I have the same one and I like, no problems here with it.
  7. milleo

milleo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maine
    I also have a general and yes I bought at Lowes, it works for me but I can see a problem if you strong arm it into the wood.
  8. cygnus

cygnus Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central, NJ
    I have the General too. Yeah, good luck getting replacement prongs. But there really is no reason to be jamming them into a split anyway. Just give slight pressure into a fresh split and you are good to go. Just hold the button down until it turns on. I kept pressing that thing and thought it was DOA. Duh!
  9. albert1029

albert1029 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwestern PA

I have one also. $30 at Lowes...works great...There is a new one on Ebay for 19.99 plus $3 shipping...damn
  10. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

I too have "The General" and it has worked well so far. I wouldn't worry about the Fireview too much. You'll know pretty quick if the wood is ok or not and a load of marginal wood won't destroy your stove. Any soot deposited will burn off the first good hot fire you run in it.
  11. DianeB

DianeB Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Foot Hills of the Berkshires
  12. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

You split each piece to test before you toss it in? ;) Test is only meaningful if you check a fresh split face of the log.
    pen likes this.
  13. DianeB

DianeB Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Foot Hills of the Berkshires
    Our wood was delivered split, but only in 1/2's we are quartering as we go as the larger pieces that fit in our fisher won't in the Castine. My little estwing fireside friend is getting a work out and so am I
    milleo likes this.