Moisture Meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dylskee

Feeling the Heat
Sep 28, 2008
Central MA
Hello all,

I'm worried I'm burning wet wood through my brand new Fireview so I hit the road this morning trying to find one to no avail. I can't find one in stores around here, I'm going to call Sears and see if they carry them in stores but if they don't I will buy one from Amazon. I found one that looks pretty good but I wanted to get your opinion before I pulled the trigger on one.

How's this one? Looks like it has good reviews........
http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools...qid=1350665235&sr=8-1&keywords=moisture+meter

I see no reason why that unit wouldn't work just fine. We are not dealing with cabinetry, just firewood. Basically just looking for ballpark numbers.

I see no reason why that unit wouldn't work just fine. We are not dealing with cabinetry, just firewood. Basically just looking for ballpark numbers.
Okay, thanks Jags..... :cool:

I have the same one and it seems to work well. Only thing I'm not happy with is the prongs bent a bit easy IMO. I've heard the company would replace had I called, but I never got around to it.

Lowes carry's those in my area. If yours doesn't, get it through amazon.com and it will be there in a few days. http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-MMD4E-Digital-Moisture/dp/B00275F5O2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350667540&sr=8-1&keywords=general moisture meter If I remember correctly, it was cheaper when I saw it in Lowes

Also, if you get that meter, just be warned that you need to hold the power button down for 3-5 seconds to get it to fire up. I've heard of folks sending it back thinking it didn't work, when I don't believe they held the power on button in long enough

pen

I have the same one and I like, no problems here with it.

I also have a general and yes I bought at Lowes, it works for me but I can see a problem if you strong arm it into the wood.

I have the General too. Yeah, good luck getting replacement prongs. But there really is no reason to be jamming them into a split anyway. Just give slight pressure into a fresh split and you are good to go. Just hold the button down until it turns on. I kept pressing that thing and thought it was DOA. Duh!

I have one also. $30 at Lowes...works great...There is a new one on Ebay for 19.99 plus $3 shipping...damn

I too have "The General" and it has worked well so far. I wouldn't worry about the Fireview too much. You'll know pretty quick if the wood is ok or not and a load of marginal wood won't destroy your stove. Any soot deposited will burn off the first good hot fire you run in it.

I keep the meter on my mantle (case-less) and check before I toss log in as there is a lot of variation in my woodpile

You split each piece to test before you toss it in? ;) Test is only meaningful if you check a fresh split face of the log.

Reactions: pen
You split each piece to test before you toss it in? ;) Test is only meaningful if you check a fresh split face of the log.
Our wood was delivered split, but only in 1/2's we are quartering as we go as the larger pieces that fit in our fisher won't in the Castine. My little estwing fireside friend is getting a work out and so am I

Reactions: milleo
Status
Not open for further replies.