Moisture Meters... my findings...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodPyro

Aug 27, 2010
East TN
Hello all,
So it is going to be my first year with an EPA stove, third year burning, first year bought wood that was probably crappy, second year scrounged all the wood and I know it was crappy. This year I have two main stacks, each about 3 cords, one c/s/s last winter, the other sometime late spring through this summer. So I decided to get a moisture meter to see what I should be burning.

One of the main things I found right away, even silver maple, which is supposed to be fast seasoning, split and stacked this last winter, some of it was still 30 percent. See the problem is that I had rented a splitter and because of limited space and to split and stack 3 cords in one weekend, I don't know about you, but this is a lot of work for me. So some of the bigger splits (quite large) are at 30 percent, most of the average to small splits are at 15 to 20 percent, so the point here is don't split too large unless you have two good summers to season the wood. Interesting to note that a piece that was hitting 32 percent left out in the sun for an hour then went to 22 percent.

The next main thing I found after awhile is I could tell as soon as I split a piece whether it was going to hit over 20 just by feeling it. I think you may have to do this from experience, but a couple things are if you split a large split and the inside is a lot cooler and you can really almost feel the moisture, it is going to be 30 percent, and even a little softer than the outside wood.

Another thing I found was that if you check the middle of a split that was split a long time ago and it is over 10 percent, the middle wood is almost certainly going to be over 20. All the seasoned wood's outside mc was in the 6 to 8 percent range.

Lastly, it of course depends on what kind of wood it is, some of the walnut that is so dry on the outside it is dusty was still at 30 in the middle of a split. I remember when cutting this walnut the water almost flowing out of it.

Sorry for the long rant, just wanted to share my experiences. Also, this was a 30 dollar unit from Lowe's and I am really happy with its function and accuracy.

there has been much discussion here regarding moisture meters. Your findings seem to be in line with what others have reported. 2 years to season most wood, an additional one for oak (so I hear). Always be sure to check moisture content from a freshly split piece. With that much moisture you may have a challenging year with an EPA stove. You may want to try and purchase some seasoned wood, or arrange a trade with someone that had extra. Also consider mixing with pallet wood. Under 20% is what you are looking for - for the EPA type stoves. Be sure to check your chimney a few times for creosote build up if you decide to burn this wood this year.

Thanks for the advice Bert, yeah I have been checking the middle inside of the fresh splits, that's where I get the high readings. Also, yeah I would say 80 percent of the older wood is good to go except for those really big splits, I may just toss those on the pile or quarter em and put em near the stove. I agree, I feel next year will probably be better, due to my learning curve and having completely dry wood.

Oh yeah, also I do clean my own chimney at least twice a winter, last year three times because of the crappy wood and smoke dragon I had.

WoodPyro said:
Interesting to note that a piece that was hitting 32 percent left out in the sun for an hour then went to 22 percent.

Wait, you're saying that you split a piece of wood and measured it at 32% MC and then re-split it after an hour in the sun and it dropped by 10% on the inside?

Just how close is your sun? Ours is 93 million miles away.

Haha no I didn't resplit it, the same surface ( or I guess the 2mm the prongs go in) dried 10 percent.

Status
Not open for further replies.