Moisture Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newguy08

Dec 5, 2008
Southern Tier NY
I have an interior 13 x 13ish clay tile chimney. I have relined this with a flex liner (not insulated due unable to slide the liner to install) and also installed a chimney extender due to three other chimneys in the immediate area (smoke issue in the past), This past winter I install a chimney cap with the hope of not having an open 10" liner allowing heat to escape when not in use. All appeared fine until I did not use the fireplace for about two weeks. That's when I began to smell an odor. Upon investigating, the fireplace hearth below the log grate was completely covered with standing water. Upon investigating I found that the chimney cap was allowing for the trapping of heat and then it turned to moisture enough to run down the liner to the hearth.

Then this past spring while cleaning the chimney, I noticed the clay liner is cracking and falling apart above the chimney crown. I am again assuming a moisture problem.

Would anyone happen to have any suggestions as to what to do -
1. Cap the chimney to eliminate heat lost but also not have a moisture problem
2. Eliminate the clay liner from further deterioration.

I am concerned that the clay liner will continue to deteriorate thus causing a problem with my chimney extender and so on. Thanks :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.