Moisture Reading's for firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wormyone

Dec 30, 2013
North Carolina
What moisture content is considered to be high? Also is it at any point ok to blend seasoned with wood that is a little higher than optimum?

I don't use a moisture meter, but most discussions of this topic seem to conclude that ~20% or less is the goal.

If I really need to test, I burn a little in the outdoor fire pit. I watch and listen for signs that it needs more seasoning.

Around 20% is what you want to shoot for

Mixing less seasoned wood with wood thats a bit green is no biggy, but not ideal obviously

People say anything under 25 MC, last year I was probably burning 20-25 without any issues, this year it is all under 20, I am hoping for better results. Not only MC, but burning higher btu woods should make a difference as well....

It should be between 15 and 20 any less is not good either but you probably wont get there with air drying

I try to get around 20% moisture or better. Living in the mountains of NC where it rains a lot it is difficult to get much lower.

Sub-18% burns great for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.