moisture readings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4acrefarm

Jan 11, 2009
western ma
I just got my meter and here are my results

Slab wood mix soft, cherry, and oak 15% to 30% mostly 20%

Hard splits20%-25% (Oak25%)

pine splits, 20%-25%

How does this sound? Will they get much better in 1 month? I want to move them into the cellar by October 5.
Thanks for any input.

As long as you are going to keep the wood outa the swimming pool, it'll age and dry. "One month" (depending on how it's cared for) isn't all that long really. I hear folks in here telling me it ain't "aged" til it's at LEAST a year old!

The whole point of course is not to burn wood that is wet enough to force the fire to burn off the water first, and then burn the wood.

I actually had one fella tell me that wood can be TOO dry, as well. I guess so..........would burn too fast and not give off as much heat, and certainly for a shorter period of time.

-Soupy1957

What moisture meter did you buy? There seems to be a lot of really inexpensive ones out there with varying quality. The first one I had started showing the same reading no mater what I stuck it in after about 8 months. I bought another one of a different brand and this one seems to work really well and I don't have to push the pins in very far to get a reading.

I personally wouldn't bring anything inside that was at 25% or above. Thats probably the oak and newest splits of anything else.

Alertj03, I got the cheapest one on EBAY , $11. Works great! I tested new splits at 36-39% and furniture grade lumber at 3%.

Status
Not open for further replies.