Mold?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JStone

Aug 14, 2014
Central, NY
This is some kind of mold? Rounds laying in my field where the trees were cut. Okay to bring in the house? Cut the ends off? Can anyone identify this? Thanks!

wsdFRzU3lg-KHpHbnIpMjreQfhJjq6nfIpeK7qCwOUlx=w478-h849-no

0908141850b.jpg

Could use it for outside fires I suppose. Was just curious if anyone has ever seen this. it grew pretty fast and isn't on all the rounds just some.

Sorry for a whacky post, what I meant was, split, stack and burn. It ain't hurting nothing.

It gives off BTUs the same as the firewood.

Split it, stack it, throw it in the stove and forget about it. The mold and the wood will all look the same when it comes out of the stove.

My GF helps me stack wood occasionally. After seeing various under-bark grubs and bugs in some of the pieces, I am forbidden from bringing it inside the house, unless it's going right into the fire. I don't even stack it up on the porch until the snow starts flying.

I'll just throw it with the reset of next years splits. My area is pretty wet.(where the trees were cut) We have tons of amphibs in the area and mushrooms galore. Haven't tried to eat any yet, haha.

Reactions: Jags
My red oak rounds have the same shape/color of mold on them. They have been down for a month and sitting in the mostly-shade. Once split and put in the sun, the mold goes away.

Reactions: JStone
Good to know kukuna. Thanks! I just didn't want that in the house. I bring a large volume in the house at a time, about one face cord. Curious of others experience with this type of mold. Appreciate it.

Kill it with fire.

If you don't understand it? Burn it.

Ha Ha I like that.

I wouldn't even think twice about CSS that wood.

was it there when you cut it? Is it blueish in color? Where was this tree? Looks like it may be iron scars from fence, nails, whatever... in that tree at some time. Let us know what you find when splitting it and be grateful your saw didn't find it.

If it started after the rounds were cut I have no clue other than it will burn!!

It's fine for the house. I would not bring it in the house until you cut and stack it and let it season for 2 years.

It is a fungal stain. It occurs very quickly on the maples(you have Soft Maple) simple feed by the sugars in the wood, exposure to Oxygen, and high temps. It will not hurt a thing and will stop growing as wood dries.

Looks kind of artsy, cut it up into cookies and hang them around the yard....

There's black mold too, it is attracted to the sugars in tree sap. It finds itself on splits that you have drying out in the open. A reason that I top cover wood piles. I think its mostly cosmetic. I dont know if the spores in the mold can lay dormant and regrow.
I use clorox for bleaching wood if Im using it for a project. Rinsed in water.
I dont think fungal stains can be removed.

Reactions: JStone
Status
Not open for further replies.