Moldy Hickory

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Had a stack fall over this winter. all of the hickory has a green surface mold on it. the pine, oak, maple, and walnut are all fine. What gives?

Not really worried about it, just found this curious. as it dries I figure it will take care of itself.

That's pretty common with Hickory.Especially on humid or rainy days.It disappears once things dry out.

kinda what i figured. Thought I'd ask. It's about all stacked for next year, gonna be another year with only OK wood. I really really really need to get ahead. There will be some really good dry stuff mixed in, that's about the best I could do.

Ya, I would not worry much about it Danno but I also would not store any in a building. Just bring it in as needed.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ya, I would not worry much about it Danno but I also would not store any in a building. Just bring it in as needed.
Thanks Dennis, It's gonna stay out in the stack until next season. It's not even close to being ready to burn, and might not be next year, either, but it's goin' in the stove next winter anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.