Mom and her two fawns!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This was taken from inside our back porch.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0149.jpg
    100_0149.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 676
Deer are smart, they somehow know I don't hunt. They are staying real close to our house right now. One was laying in the woods 20' from my truck and another one was between the deck and swingset this morning.

It is great having them around. I know that it is tough to get pics of them, I have been trying for several months. Great pics Zap!

We have them many times in our yard. We've even had 3 fawns born right in our yard!!

And last night as I was watching about a dozen deer I also enjoyed a show as 2 button bucks were pushing each other around making out like big guys. I usually get to see that every fall too.

It's great to live where you can actually live, eh Zap?
I've never been a city boy. The only wildlife there is birds, squirrels and coons.
I've got a doe and 2 fawns as well - they wander from my 6 acres, across my sisters 6 acres, to her neighbours 5 acres.
Beautiful.
Thanks.

This summer had several doe and fawn munching under some apple trees while I ran my tractor apprx. 70 yards away from them. They got so accustomed to the tractor noise that once I turned it off they darted for the woods!

muncybob said:
This summer had several doe and fawn munching under some apple trees while I ran my tractor apprx. 70 yards away from them. They got so accustomed to the tractor noise that once I turned it off they darted for the woods!

Muncybob- Do you live in or near Muncy? I've been by there a good few times and have always been curious about the town of Jersey Shore. Whats that all about? Its neither Jersey nor the shore, and a bit misleading for people with bad sense of direction.
As a side note I have been to Happy Valley many times and think that central PA is one of the nicest places I have ever been. I do think its weird that PA uses deer carcasses as mile markers on route 80 though.

maplewood said:
It's great to live where you can actually live, eh Zap?
I've never been a city boy. The only wildlife there is birds, squirrels and coons.
I've got a doe and 2 fawns as well - they wander from my 6 acres, across my sisters 6 acres, to her neighbours 5 acres.
Beautiful.
Thanks.

Yes it is a great place to live. I spend time in the summer fishing walleye on the St.Lawrence River from Long Sault to Iroquois Control Dam.

Zap

Group of 5 or 6 Mulies (does & fawns) came grazing outside my shop this morning. Pretty common, especially when the weather turns colder. No buck this morning, but we've had some really nice ones come by from time to time. Rick

Attachments

• mulie.jpg
    mulie.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 385
KarlP said:
I find these comments by hysterical. Dozens of suburban NJ towns less than an hour's drive from Manhattan have almost 200 deer per square mile. With that population density they ignore electric fences and eat the "deer resistant" shrubs. I don't find them cute, rare, or only found in open spaces. They are a menace to people and property.

"Hysterical" is a pretty strong word, used in this context in a way I find just a bit derogatory. Yes, there are problems in densely populated urban areas when relatively docile wild species thrive. I lived in Fairfax, Virginia for 12 years, and I saw it first hand. It's not the deers' problem, they haven't a clue what "private property" is...it's the people's problem. I was lucky enough to be able to escape that environment back to a much more rural setting a couple of years ago, and now I once again really appreciate the wildlife with which I share my living space. We have a little cottontail rabbit living under our deck that helps me keep my lawn trimmed. We have hundreds of quail that keep us entertained with all their scurrying and scratching around. Sometimes a big jackrabbit will come through. Sometimes the Great Horned Owls come visit. We have birds up the wazoo, and coyotes, and, of course, the Mule Deer. Once you leave the dense humanly populated areas, you find that it's easy and downright pleasant to peacefully coexist with whatever wildlife happens by. Rick

OK, then the solution must lie with people/agencies other than those folks in this thread who are posting pics & stories about appreciating their occasional encounters with deer in their environments. There's no disputing the facts you present, but what do you expect us to do? If I bought a couple hundred thousand rounds for my old .30-06 and set out to gun down every mule deer in Oregon, not only would I waste the rest of my life in a failing quest, but it wouldn't make an iota of difference wherever you live. If you want to start a discussion about what a problem wild animals are in urban areas and what might be done about it, then by all means, open one up in the Ash Can and have at it...or better yet, get involved in your local or state government...but don't hijack a picture thread here that was simply about enjoying a deer encounter by someone who appreciates it. Rick

fossil said:
OK, then the solution must lie with people/agencies other than those folks in this thread who are posting pics & stories about appreciating their occasional encounters with deer in their environments. There's no disputing the facts you present, but what do you expect us to do? If I bought a couple hundred thousand rounds for my old .30-06 and set out to gun down every mule deer in Oregon, not only would I waste the rest of my life in a failing quest, but it wouldn't make an iota of difference wherever you live. If you want to start a discussion about what a problem wild animals are in urban areas and what might be done about it, then by all means, open one up in the Ash Can and have at it...or better yet, get involved in your local or state government...but don't hijack a picture thread here that was simply about enjoying a deer encounter by someone who appreciates it. Rick

Good job Foss.

Zap

Delta-T said:
muncybob said:

Muncybob- Do you live in or near Muncy? I've been by there a good few times and have always been curious about the town of Jersey Shore. Whats that all about? Its neither Jersey nor the shore, and a bit misleading for people with bad sense of direction.
As a side note I have been to Happy Valley many times and think that central PA is one of the nicest places I have ever been. I do think its weird that PA uses deer carcasses as mile markers on route 80 though.

just outside of Muncy...no idea how Jersey Shore came about. I wish the ocean was that close! Ever notice how those highway signs have the antlers backwards!?

Status
Not open for further replies.