Monday Rant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warmncozy

Nov 3, 2009
Southern NH
My little story goes like this......

Because I only have room for two ton I have to buy my third ton right around this time of year. Wasn't a problem last year. Lowe's had plenty of Green Team's left. This year however....Lowe's is out of Green Teams so I was left scrambling yesterday looking for a decent pellet. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but what yesterday made me realize was that in this area (Southern NH) we seem to be in a black hole of low end pellets and very uneducated sales people. I called just about everyone around here that sold pellets and most of them didn't even know what kind they were. Not to mention they seemed annoyed that I was even asking. The best one had to be the company that I was told (on this forum) sold Okanagans. I called them this morning and the conversation went like this:

Me: Hello...do you still sell pellets?

Her: yup

Me: What kind do you carry?

Her: You mean who makes them?

Me: yes

Her: HEY BILL!!! WHAT KIND OF PELLETS WE GOT?.....YEAH!! WHO MAKES THEM?

Her: They're Okanawas

Me: you mean Okanagans?

Her: OKANAWAS!!! sir..

End of conversation....

Now unless Toyota has decided it's better to sell wood pellets rather than cars that can't stop....I'd say she was mistaken..

I hate to make a big deal about this, but I'm really hoping someday manufacturers can teach their dealers/distributors more about pellets so they can at least sound intelligent and don't treat the consumer like he or she is asking a lot of prying questions for no reason.

The happy ending to this story is I finally went to pelletsales.com which is only a couple of miles from me and the nice people down there gave me a few of bags to try out. I'll most likely buy a ton of something from them tomorrow. I didn't go there in the first place because I was really hoping to get some Okie's or Barefoots or Hamer's or some like that, but like I said....we seem to be in a black hole around here. I couldn't find anyone within my pickup truck hauling distance that sold any of those.

End of rant.

Wow, I hope that wasn't a retail pellet house. I could see the big box messing it up or not carring. We all have stories dealing with the big box pellet non experts.

What brand did woodpellets.com come toss you?

Reminds me of a call I placed earlier this year to one of the box stores. Asked him what he had and he said they had 4 brands. I asked what brands they were, and he said it really didn't matter, because they all came from the same place and burned the same. What a moron. I'd rather go to a local store and pay a little extra to talk to someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Don't you guys have a Tough Shitte Charlies up there? TSC always seems to have pellets...for a price, at least around here.

jtakeman said:
Wow, I hope that wasn't a retail pellet house. I could see the big box messing it up or not carring. We all have stories dealing with the big box pellet non experts.

What brand did woodpellets.com come toss you?

I'm trying to choose between Greenway's and Cleanfires (Hardwood). I've got the Greenways in now and the only problem I see is the length of the pellets. So far though, my stove is handling them fine though.

I didn't go with the Okie's from the dealer that didn't have a clue mainly because they wanted $365 a pallet. Not only don't I need or want a whole pallet, but I think $280 a ton is too high.

warmncozy said:
.......I'm trying to choose between Greenway's and Cleanfires (Hardwood).

I burned some of the GreenWays, and just finished a ton of the CleanFires. If I had to chose between the two, I'd take the Greenways. I had no problem with the pellet length at all.

Couple winters ago we had a real shortage on pellets here.

Local manuf had a big warehouse fire and then the cold came and there was a shortage big time.

Local stuff is Golden fire, Bear Mountain, Lignetics and a couple others. All douglas fir stuff.

Some times we will see some pine shipped in but not often.

We can stock about 3.5 tons in the basement pellet storage area. (About 3 feet wide and 9 feet high X 10 feet long)

I store all my nut shell fuel in barrels in the basement too. I can pack in about 6000 pounds of the stuff (3 tons)

This season we have been doing shells all season so the pellet supply has not gone down much.

Never worried too much about brand or quality. If it burns it goes in the hopper.

Some brands do clinker more than others.

Snowy

macman said:
warmncozy said:
.......I'm trying to choose between Greenway's and Cleanfires (Hardwood).

I burned some of the GreenWays, and just finished a ton of the CleanFires. If I had to chose between the two, I'd take the Greenways. I had no problem with the pellet length at all.

Macman, have you been using the Greenways any more? They just sent me a fax special with some real good pricing. Cheap pellets dont do me any good if I end up with hundreds of angry customers. I emailed the company to see if they had a local dealer.

Thanks
Frank

I don't want to judge by just a couple of bags of the Greenways, but I had pellets that were OVER two inches long. My stove seem to handle them well, but I ended up going with the Cleanfires just because that made me nervous.

Thanks for the input. I'm not looking to sell pellets much over an inch long to our customers. I'm going to try some out after I get a landed quote from the company

BTU said:
warmncozy said:
My little story goes like this......

Because I only have room for two ton I have to buy my third ton right around this time of year. Wasn't a problem last year. Lowe's had plenty of Green Team's left. This year however....Lowe's is out of Green Teams so I was left scrambling yesterday looking for a decent pellet. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but what yesterday made me realize was that in this area (Southern NH) we seem to be in a black hole of low end pellets and very uneducated sales people. I called just about everyone around here that sold pellets and most of them didn't even know what kind they were. Not to mention they seemed annoyed that I was even asking. The best one had to be the company that I was told (on this forum) sold Okanagans. I called them this morning and the conversation went like this:

Me: Hello...do you still sell pellets?

Her: yup

Me: What kind do you carry?

Her: You mean who makes them?

Me: yes

Her: HEY BILL!!! WHAT KIND OF PELLETS WE GOT?.....YEAH!! WHO MAKES THEM?

Her: They're Okanawas

Me: you mean Okanagans?

Her: OKANAWAS!!! sir..

End of conversation....

Now unless Toyota has decided it's better to sell wood pellets rather than cars that can't stop....I'd say she was mistaken..

I hate to make a big deal about this, but I'm really hoping someday manufacturers can teach their dealers/distributors more about pellets so they can at least sound intelligent and don't treat the consumer like he or she is asking a lot of prying questions for no reason.

The happy ending to this story is I finally went to pelletsales.com which is only a couple of miles from me and the nice people down there gave me a few of bags to try out. I'll most likely buy a ton of something from them tomorrow. I didn't go there in the first place because I was really hoping to get some Okie's or Barefoots or Hamer's or some like that, but like I said....we seem to be in a black hole around here. I couldn't find anyone within my pickup truck hauling distance that sold any of those.

End of rant.

Boy do I wish I had a nickel for every time someone messed up the name. Don't feel bad, I have dealers who have been selling them for two years who still won't/can't pronounce the name right. But in the big picture of things, not saying a name right isn't the end of the world...keep it simple, just call em "Okies" most will know what you mean.....

So what IS the correct pronunciation? I've heard 2 ways from 2 different dealers, and I almost feel stupid asking for these since I am probably pronouncing it wrong myself. I actually asked one dealer if they carried Okies, and he said "No, none of our pellets are Oak, they're all soft wood"...So I was like "Not Oakies....Okies" I didn't get much further than that.

I also like when the retailer tries to sound like he knows what he is talking about with pellets. Saying one brand is better than the other when they do not burn pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.