Monessen VF not lighting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xtinar

Dec 3, 2016
Connecticut
New to the forum and new to gas fireplaces. We purchased a home this summer with a Monessen VF fireplace that worked during all inspections and walk throughs.

IMG_4817.jpg

We had our hardwood floors refinished and lots of dust wound up in the fireplace. As a result we didn't plan to turn it on until we had it cleaned and serviced.

Put a call into our propane supplier to inquire who they recommended for gas fireplace cleaning… Of course they recommended themselves! Their technician came out and "cleaned" the fireplace - and was unable to get the pilot lit. There is no gas flowing through the log set.

However, the propane is definitely working - we installed a propane hot water heater earlier this fall that is working just fine.

Have since had another gas technician out who believes it COULD be the regulator - but since he is not a Monessen dealer he can't get parts. He also explained that the fireplace has likely met it's life expectancy.

His recommendation would be a new 19" log set. $600-$900 for the log set and about $300 to install.

Seeing that I've already spent $300 on service calls and cleaning I'm wondering what makes the most sense. I called the closest Monessen dealer and they gave me the number of yet another gas technician and explained that parts are getting harder and harder to find for Monessen since they were acquired. Sigh.

Welcoming any insight or advice.

On the rear of the pilot hood, there is a small hole, A little larger than 1/16" in diameter.
This is the Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS). Make sure it is clear of dust, pet hair or other
debris. You can usually blow it clean with a small can of compressed air...Let us know how
you make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.