Money overflowing in my wallet!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RnG17

Sep 9, 2010
PA
Well I just want to start off by saying a big THANK YOU to everyone that has commented on my post and questions. This was my first year burning 24/7, I had the multiple weekends at deer camp but when its 24/7 in your house its a bit different. I cleaned my chimney once a month which was about 1 1/4 cord of wood used per month. Not much came down but it made me feel good to make sure it was clean.

Now to the point I really wanted to make. We got back $975 on our tax credit due to the wood stove and everything that went along with it, and saved on average $200 a month on electric, that was based on what a few of my neighbors electric bills were. So saving a bit over $1500 by buying the wood stove last year was a good idea to say the least.

We only started burning in December and ran out of wood come mid March, which I was fine with, but I can tell you guys one thing I will have enough wood to cover November thru April this year. I have my wood stacked and ready to go, mostly Mulberry, so I'm pretty excited to try it, haven't burned any Mulberry yet, heard good things.

I think I made a good decision on a stove for my house and what I wanted it do accomplish, I know now 68 degrees feels like an ice box! This wood stove made me a wuss visiting relatives as I sit there freezing my butt off! We had for our area a pretty cold and long winter here in SE PA and the stove couldn't have come at a better time, we got the great tax credit, plus with prices going up on everything I wish I would have done it last year. I'm an HVAC tech and get to hear these horror stories of $$600-$900 electric bills and there is no way I would ever give them that kind of money, I don't care if I can afford it or not, that is crazy. I really wanted the electric company to come out and change meters but they didn't so that was the only disappointment I had, haha. I just wanted the laugh, but in the end I am very happy looking at my current bank statements, well worth it, and thanks again guys!

& That is That.
Love hearing these stories.
Good heat , saved allot of money. Every year, from here on out.
& a free membership to the wood cutters exercise club.
& happily ever after ;-P

RnG17 said:
This wood stove made me a wuss visiting relatives as I sit there freezing my butt off!
You should've saved some of those warm clothes instead of getting rid of everything but your T-shirts and shorts. :lol:

Yeah, save those warm clothes when visiting relatives...I hear ya about that.....whenever I go over someone's house....I freeze by butt off too......got too use to the warmth in our house....like they say wood heat warms the bones......congrats......betcha you can find something to spend that cash on now.....some good wood cutting gear......maybe a really fly splitter?? or a supercool chainsaw you have been eyeing up???? Or you can blow it on that wonderful wife or girlfriend??? ;-) yeah I know typical chic...

That's great news. I wasn't eligable for the tax credit this year do to no tax liability, but It will come in handy next year now that my wife is working to. (I'm pretty sure the credit can carry over to next year I'll find out at 9:00 am today when I go to finish my taxes.) I Know I'm a procrastinater when it comes to paper-work. Better keep on cutting and get another year ahead! It's like money in the bank.

RnG17 said:
We only started burning in December and ran out of wood come mid March, which I was fine with, but I can tell you guys one thing I will have enough wood to cover November thru April this year. I have my wood stacked and ready to go, mostly Mulberry, so I'm pretty excited to try it, haven't burned any Mulberry yet, heard good things.

If you can, try to get some more wood stashed away for the following year. Should be quite easy to source once the weather warms up and people forget woodburning for a while.

And yes, there is nothing like a wood fire to warm the bones, even better when you can afford to be warm without the fear of a huge bill afterwards.

It's a pleasure getting bills here nowadays.... well, almost ;-)

And the trick to visiting relatives and freezing is that you make excuses to go home early and "check the fire"..... :)

My first year too, (with an EPA stove). Got it used and knew nothing about it. Without all the help I found here the thing would have been sold for scrap. Won't get into all the details, but thanks agaain for all the help, knowledge, and money in the bank!!!

woodchip said:
RnG17 said:

If you can, try to get some more wood stashed away for the following year. Should be quite easy to source once the weather warms up and people forget woodburning for a while.

And yes, there is nothing like a wood fire to warm the bones, even better when you can afford to be warm without the fear of a huge bill afterwards.

It's a pleasure getting bills here nowadays.... well, almost ;-)

And the trick to visiting relatives and freezing is that you make excuses to go home early and "check the fire"..... :)

:lol: We've used that excuse many times! I almost hate going to someone else's house in the winter months. Well, there are also 2 friends where we don't like to go in the winter months and they have wood heat! Both of them have lots and lots of wood; more than I do, but they keep their house in the 60's. Figure that one out.

RnG17, that is a great story and a great testament to the benefits of heating one's home using wood.

Both of them have lots and lots of wood; more than I do, but they keep their house in the 60’s. Figure that one out.

I'm with your friends. I think you guys are nuts for trying to get the house warm enough to walk around in shorts and a t-shirt. If it gets up to 70 in the living room (where the stove is) I start getting uncomfortably warm.

But I wear long underwear from December through March and don't want to undress every time I come inside.

Alan

Alan Gage said:
Both of them have lots and lots of wood; more than I do, but they keep their house in the 60’s. Figure that one out.

I'm with your friends. I think you guys are nuts for trying to get the house warm enough to walk around in shorts and a t-shirt. If it gets up to 70 in the living room (where the stove is) I start getting uncomfortably warm.

But I wear long underwear from December through March and don't want to undress every time I come inside.

Alan

+1

Lucky for me with my too-small stove, I like it on the cool side, too. By around 74, I'm starting to get really uncomfortable.

Alan Gage said:

Alan
Your lucky I get to wear mine Dec to Dec but only on work days, the temp at my job is 0- +5 degrees and find that even with house at 77 during winter I never get too warm the summer its alot different I have to get AC going to get dressed for work

Alan Gage said:

Alan

Lucky you! With my cold feet and lets, I too wear the long underwear but I use it many more months than you do. I'll probably stop sometime in May or June, depending upon the weather and start wearing again in September.

I also have never understood why folks want the temperature so high in the summer month only to call that high heat in the winter months. If you are comfortable at 85 degrees in the summer, why would you be hot at 75 degrees in the winter? Yes, the body usually adapts but not to that extent.

Our last 2 wood stoves kept the house at a very comfortable mid 70's - low 80's. Our current house is a 1940's and it needs help. We managed with a lacking wood supply and monster drafts. The windows, doors, and insulation are top priority this summer... Then we will be back in shorts and tee shirts.

My solid fuel stove saved me well over $20,000 on oil in the past 9 years,id say thats money overflowing in my bank account. Too much for the wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.