1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Monitoring storage temps

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by hiker88, Oct 16, 2012.

1. chuck172

chuck172 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sussex County, NJ
    I ordered the sure digital thermometer from sure on ebay. It came two weeks latter totally dead. I can send it back to china for my $13.00 back if I pay for shipping!
    Not worth it.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jebatty

jebatty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MN
    Frustrating when something doesn't work. Tough to blame the Chinese mfr because so much electronics are made in China, regardless of the brand name. Plus, another mfr, including a US mfr, just doesn't guaranty a quality, working product anyway.

I've installed about 25 of the Sure DS18b20 digital meters and all have worked fine. With the DS18b20's you need to pay attention to the length of the wire run. I've installed runs up to about 35 feet successfully. I use Cat 5e wire and I double up the wires, i.e., a twisted pair for the signal, twisted pair for the DC supply and twisted pair for the ground. The DS18b20 meters have two channels, but I've installed all but one using a single channel only, mainly because I don't like the alternately flashing channel read-outs. The meters now are in their 2nd - 3rd heating seasons and none have failed. I especially like the red and blue led's, red for "hot" lines and blue for "cool" lines.