1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

monkey puzzle?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by madrone, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madrone

madrone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just South of Portland, OR
    Anyone know anything about monkey-puzzle tree? There's some on the ol' craigslist. All I can find is that it's the densest conifer. Sounds good so far...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. madrone

madrone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Thanks everybody.
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Uhh...been burning up trees for a long time. Lots of different kinds. Can almost quote BTU content from most species in north America and have NEVER heard of monkey puzzle. I have been on this site since 2006 with OH so many wood discussions and never even heard the name brought up before. I'm bet'in thats why you don't have any responses. You got a "real" name for this tree?

Edit:
    Ahh...this splains it "It is native to central Chile and west central Argentina".
  4. madrone

madrone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    I didn't make it over to pick it up, so unfortunately I'll be unable to submit a report. It seems to be grown in the US as an "ornamental" but from the pictures online it looks like it grows pretty big, and sounds very dense. Another missed opportunity to burn one of everything...
  5. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    According to Wiki, its the densest conifer on the planet. Sounds like it would have burned quite well.
  6. jpl1nh

jpl1nh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Newfields NH
    It's a close relative of the more commonhouse plant Norfolk Island Pine. It's a semi-tropical or tropical connifer with flat wedge shaped needles that are sharp as hell, not something you'd want to snuggle up too. We buy it potted out of Florida for a house plant occaisionally but its sharp needles put off most people. Never considered it for firewood but sounds like it would be good. Where's Willamette Valley, sounds like a CA location.
  7. myzamboni

myzamboni Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silicon Valley
    Willamette Valley is in Oregon.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.