1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Monoxide detector 7 year shut down?

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by Val, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Val

Val New Member

Hello, can you help me find a brand of monoxide detector that doesn't shut down in 7 years? I'd like a plug in one. They cost 30-50 dollars and then before you know it the things not good anymore. I had 2 battery ones, now the last one is chirping its replacement signal. I am not trying to be cheap with safety...I just think its another gimmick to get consumers to spend. Thank you.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Frozen Canuck

Frozen Canuck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North central Alberta, Canada
    Generally speaking most brands have detector failure within 5 - 8 years or so. They just get all gummed up with what's in the air in our homes. If you smoke in the house or have pets or a poorly maintained forced air system, failure can occur sooner. Good practice & required by some insurance companies is replacement within that 5 - 8 year period. Sorry to burst your bubble on something that last's forever as no one has invented a self cleaning detector yet.
  3. TradEddie

TradEddie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    It's not dust or dirt, the chemical sensor in the CO detector wears out. This is not like a smoke detector which can be vacuumed. This is one reason I use separate smoke and CO detectors.

TE
  4. ccrider

ccrider New Member

Kidde has just released a 10 year co detector. This is an industry first. Ul requires that your co alarms at the end of life which had been 7 years and now will be ten years.

Btw, it is a good idea to vacuum your smokes but regardless nfpa recommends your replace them after 10 years regardless.
    firebroad likes this.
  5. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I just had to replace one that failed after 3 years.

It was a Kiddee plug in model.

Matt
  6. ccrider

ccrider New Member

Should return it under warranty. The date code is on the unit
  7. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I have it sitting on a shelf and am waiting to do it.

Time is the limiting factor on most things I do.

Matt