Monoxide detector 7 year shut down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Val

Mar 17, 2012
NY
Hello, can you help me find a brand of monoxide detector that doesn't shut down in 7 years? I'd like a plug in one. They cost 30-50 dollars and then before you know it the things not good anymore. I had 2 battery ones, now the last one is chirping its replacement signal. I am not trying to be cheap with safety...I just think its another gimmick to get consumers to spend. Thank you.

Generally speaking most brands have detector failure within 5 - 8 years or so. They just get all gummed up with what's in the air in our homes. If you smoke in the house or have pets or a poorly maintained forced air system, failure can occur sooner. Good practice & required by some insurance companies is replacement within that 5 - 8 year period. Sorry to burst your bubble on something that last's forever as no one has invented a self cleaning detector yet.

It's not dust or dirt, the chemical sensor in the CO detector wears out. This is not like a smoke detector which can be vacuumed. This is one reason I use separate smoke and CO detectors.

TE

Kidde has just released a 10 year co detector. This is an industry first. Ul requires that your co alarms at the end of life which had been 7 years and now will be ten years.

Btw, it is a good idea to vacuum your smokes but regardless nfpa recommends your replace them after 10 years regardless.

Reactions: firebroad
I have it sitting on a shelf and am waiting to do it.

Time is the limiting factor on most things I do.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.