Monster Computer Rigs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODBUTCHER

Minister of Fire
Anyone else build custom computer rigs? I just finished building a monster rig for my Graphics & Photography and saved big money.

Check out the specs:

Lian-Li PC75B with side window
Thermaltake cpu cooler
Gigabyte X48DS5
4Gig 1066 Corsair Mem
Wolfdale 3.33 GHz
Nvidia 1 gig GTX280
3 internal drives (1) 250 gig drive (2) 640 gig drives
2 external 750 gig drives
Antec SG850 power supply

WoodButcher

Attachments

• TNT_Rig_02.jpg
    TNT_Rig_02.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 333
  • TNT_Rig_04.jpg
    TNT_Rig_04.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 339
  • TNT_Rig_05.jpg
    TNT_Rig_05.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 348
Ummmm....I definitely got a kick out of checking out that gals beaver. What she did with it was ingenious..but slightly disturbing, yet thought provoking.

Hey woodbutcher, cool build man. By the specs, you should have enough power to run NASA in case of an emergency. I don't build machines anymore (no time), but I appreciate seeing the efforts of others. As I type, I can look slightly to the left and see my 2 main frames, 3 servers and data racks all humming along nicely. Gives ya kind of an idea why I can appreciate a quality build like yours. Good job.

WOODBUTCHER said:
Anyone else build custom computer rigs? I just finished building a monster rig for my Graphics & Photography and saved big money.

Check out the specs:

Thermaltake cpu cooler
Gigabyte X48DS5
4Gig 1066 Corsair Mem
Wolfdale 3.33 GHz
Nvidia 1 gig GTX280
Antec SG850 power supply

WoodButcher

Nice rig man.
You do realize the window ain't going to stay clean for long?
Why didn't you go for an SLI or Crossfire graphics supported MB? can't beat 2 huge cards with a third for supporting the two. for the other two.
Can get very expensive though.

Impressive system.

Yeah, I have always built mine. Mine is almost 3 years old now, so it's ancient by computer standards, but still a good one.

Computer stuff is so cheap right now compared to what it was a year or two ago. I just bought 2GB of Crucial RAM for $25.00. I paid about $185.00 for it when I built my computer.

Hogwildz said:
WOODBUTCHER said:

Check out the specs:

Thermaltake cpu cooler
Gigabyte X48DS5
4Gig 1066 Corsair Mem
Wolfdale 3.33 GHz
Nvidia 1 gig GTX280
Antec SG850 power supply

WoodButcher

Nice rig man.
Why didn't you go for an SLI or Crossfire graphics supported MB? can't beat 2 huge cards with a third for supporting the two. for the other two.

Well the MB supports crossfire, I went back and forth many times about crossfiring (2) 4870's. ATI is having heat issues with the DDR5 ram.....I decided on a single card solution..
I am not convinced about SLI/Crossfire....if we look back 12 months ago when an SLI unit running (2) 8800 Ultra's gets the smack down now by a single GTX280.
What a rat race video cards have been the last 6-8 months eh? This reminds me of my PentiumII days when my friends bought into the 3DFx dual Voodoo cards.
a few months later I bought a riva TNT card at less than half the cost and better performance. I'll tell ya what... this GTX 280 is very stable and super quiet.

WoodButcher

WOODBUTCHER said:
Hogwildz said:
WOODBUTCHER said:

Check out the specs:

Thermaltake cpu cooler
Gigabyte X48DS5
4Gig 1066 Corsair Mem
Wolfdale 3.33 GHz
Nvidia 1 gig GTX280
Antec SG850 power supply

WoodButcher

Nice rig man.

Well the MB supports crossfire, I went back and forth many times about crossfiring (2) 4870's. ATI is having heat issues with the DDR5 ram.....I decided on a single card solution..
I am not convinced about SLI/Crossfire....if we look back 12 months ago when an SLI unit running (2) 8800 Ultra's gets the smack down now by a single GTX280.
What a rat race video cards have been the last 6-8 months eh? This reminds me of my PentiumII days when my friends bought into the 3DFx dual Voodoo cards.
a few months later I bought a riva TNT card at less than half the cost and better performance. I'll tell ya what... this GTX 280 is very stable and super quiet.
WoodButcher

I hear ya. I have room for SLI on my MB. But back last year I put it together. Then it was the GTS & GTX 8800's. I opted for the GTS and it runs fine.
I have 4 gig of ram, but found out I can't run SLI on the ram with 4 gigs set at 1066. So alot of extra crap on MB's is just that.
I am loving this Quad core though. I can run anything I want, all at the same time, and it don't bog down like the old P4 Northwood I had.
Nuttin better than making your own puter with all the stuff you want in it.
Congrats

Man my P4 2.8 "was" a great machine........I started building machines by upgrading my dad's old 486 dx33... all down hill from there.
I built a Pentium 100 .....then a Pentium 200.....a PII450 then the good old P4 2.8. The worst chip Intel ever made was the pentium 60 and the PentiumD...Best chip was the 486DX5.

WoodButcher

I've built most of our machines, used to do it for a living as well... All our stuff has been budget boxes though, and these days it just about isn't worth building your own budget box...

The most elaborate project I've worked on, was the liquid cooled machine I started to build, but ran out of energy on, and now a lot of the stuff I made is semi-obsolete... (I was planning on a dual 32 bit Athlon mobo)

I made my own machined copper cooling blocks, (Two cpu blocks, a gpu block and a bunch of drive plates) modded a heater core, and got a cube case to put it all in - just never got the electronics for it, or finished the plumbing to tie it all together...

Was fun designing it though...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.