Monster Scrounge (pic heavy)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USMC80

Minister of Fire
Mar 27, 2013
New Jersey
Got this one off of Craigs List. There is even more than the pics show

Here is load number 1 of what I think maybe 20 loads

I think I might have to call for backup on this scrounge

IMG_20130430_173437_191_zpsc8e09901.jpg

IMG_20130430_173428_943_zps382b1951.jpg

IMG_20130430_173441_916_zps87d971ac.jpg
IMG_20130430_173409_779_zpsd749640a.jpg

IMG_20130430_173355_032_zps5c0b6bba.jpg

IMG_20130430_173343_553_zps2058cd25.jpg

IMG_20130430_180503_558_zpsf885ffe6.jpg

haha, backup eh? USMC80 radio's for air support :)

Never broadcast your coordinates as the enemy will surely get a fix on your location and seek to thwart your objectives, I say work at it one load at a time 'til you got it laying all over the place at your home base ;)

Reactions: Applesister
haha, backup eh? USMC80 radio's for air support :)

Never broadcast your location as the enemy will surely get a fix on your location and seek to thwart your objectives, I say work at it one load at a time 'til you got it laying all over the place at your home base ;)

hahahahah, its my best bud, he don't burn much so should be ok. I had the guy pull the ad off craigslist and told him I will get the majority of it cleared. Some of rounds are huge and I just cant get them into my truck. Should I noodle them? Never tried noodling, any advice?

Reactions: ScotO
You scored! :cool: Looks like some black birch and oak. Those pieces by the cement patio look like they are 36". If that oak is clear of knots it might split real easy and not be worth your time to noodle. A few wacks with a maul and they will be in half. That black birch is great burning wood and smells so sweet when cutting it, but it will rot real fast if you dont keep it dry, it has a very short shelf life.

Reactions: Applesister
Those oak rounds should pop apart easy with a maul.

hmmm ok, guess i need to pick up a maul tomorrow and give it a shot, just a maul or will i need wedges too?

any recommendations for a good maul, sorry new at this stuff, always used a splitter

any recommendations for a good maul, sorry new at this stuff, always used a splitter
An 8# maul with a fiberglass handle from Home Depot or similar will destroy that oak if there are no knots in it. If the wood is being difficult but starts to crack apart put a wood wedge into it before pulling the maul out. Any piece of stick or bark lying around will do. It will hold the wood open for the next hit and make it much easier. Wedges are good for ones that don't want to crack apart. I'd suggest you get two just to have around. You might need one to start those monsters. But once in half I think you will be pleasantly suprised with how easy they can split.

Awesome score! Ditto what others said; just bring a maul and some wedges. Most likely the maul will easily split the rounds into more manageable pieces. Use the wedges if needed.

Some of rounds are huge and I just cant get them into my truck. Should I noodle them? Never tried noodling, any advice?
Yep, the eight-pounder is what I'm using on an Oak score I'm finishing up tomorrow. Some of the bigger rounds, I have to chip off edges and whittle it down that way...I'm an old buzzard. ;lol As mentioned, straight grain is pretty easy. If you've got a round with a big branch coming out the side, you might have to noodle it. My final load tomorrow is about half noodle rounds...

Fiskers x27. Amazing what this thing will do to rounds as long as they are not twisted. I also have a 10# sledge and a couple wedges I keep now. On some clean rounds the fiskers is almost fun to split with.

Reactions: Shane N
You were right, "Monster score!
As i was scrolling down the pictures it kept getting better & better& better. :)

The "Mother load"

No trouble for a marine, looks like you have it surrounded :) LOL

6 or 8 lb maul is handy to have anytime you're out cutting.
Don't have to swing it that hard, sometimes some easy taps on the far edge, then middle split the big ones perfect ;)

Noodle if you have too but try the maul first.

Looks like over a years supply there. Awesome! :)

I agree with the others, a maul on site is a good bet. Some times I'll run the saw noodle style for 3 or 4 inches then place a wedge in the kerf and bust a round in half that way.

I hauled 7 truck loads in a week or so about two weeks ago and I'm still sore from doing it! I ain't as young as I used to be.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Knew that this was going to be in NJ before I saw the location. Wood galore around here. I have an axe, standard HD item as mentioned above, and 3 wedges. 3 seems to be the magic number as you can use 2 wedges to free the third if problems arise. 2 will surely get you into a situation where you are standing there scratching your head with two wedges buried in a monster split. What county are you scrounging this from?

I'm getting some big ash that is too heavy to pick up right now. I just take the saw and bore cut into the end round about an inch and then put a wedge in the cut. A couple of wacks with the back of the mall and my problem is reduced by 50%

Ahhhh...Log heaven!:) Nice, very nice.

It's in Morris County, as I was pulling out I saw another house with monster oak rounds at the curb!!! Looks like Im off to hd to get a maul and wedges. Really like the idea of starting to noodle it then stick wedge in, ill def try that too. Thanks guys!!!

You scored! :cool: Looks like some black birch and oak. Those pieces by the cement patio look like they are 36". If that oak is clear of knots it might split real easy and not be worth your time to noodle. A few wacks with a maul and they will be in half. That black birch is great burning wood and smells so sweet when cutting it, but it will rot real fast if you dont keep it dry, it has a very short shelf life.

Yes def some kind of birch mixed in. Will it rot even if split and stacked?

Yes def some kind of birch mixed in. Will it rot even if split and stacked?
As long as you have it off the ground and covered it will keep fine. Unsplit and sitting the ground is where it rots real fast.

As long as you have it off the ground and covered it will keep fine. Unsplit and sitting the ground is where it rots real fast.

cool, will split it soon

What you guys think about a 8lb truper maul, 5lb wedge and fiskars x27 axe for $100? Good deal or no?

cool, will split it soon

What you guys think about a 8lb truper maul, 5lb wedge and fiskars x27 axe for $100? Good deal or no?
Not a fabulous deal, but $100 is only worth $50 now, so you are shelling out less! ;)

Pic #1 is one load?? I would've liked to seen all that in the bed of your pickup. _g

ordered the fiskar, maul, sharpener and wedges. I'll have to get by with noodling for todays load with the jonsered

ordered the fiskar, maul, sharpener and wedges. I'll have to get by with noodling for todays load with the jonsered

TOYS! You'll enjoy using the maul/fiskars here and there as a change from the splitter me thinks.

Reactions: Big Donnie Brasco
Status
Not open for further replies.